• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems Booting With high fsb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

everx

Registered
I can run the comp fine at 180mhz fsb, using an nforce2 soltek 75mrn. I can turn the machine off and on and no probs, but when i unplug the computer and plug it back in, at post it says the mem freq is at 100mhz and gives a warning saying
"Warning! CPU has been changed or overclock fail.
Please re-enter CPU settings in the cmos setup and remember to save before quit!"

and to fix it i just have to go into the bios set the fsb to 100, then restart and go back into the bios and set it back to 180 fsb and it works fine.. But why is it doing this? does anyone know?
Thanks

That is kind of hard to say without any of your other system specs but it could be your memory, CPU, and possibly your psu. Have you ever done any stability tests like Memtest86 or Prime95? They can tell you if your comp is actually stable at 180 or if you need to add voltage or slacken timings. We need more info to help.

Edit: it could just be a bug in your BIOS, do you have their newest revision?

they are supposed to do that - my board does it when i switch the power off. It's a fail-safe in-case something goes wrong. If you mees the settings up - just unplug it for 5 seconds then boot up. Problem solved. Luckily, my board remember the previous settings i used, so all i have to do is enter the bios,exit and it reboots at my settings.

Anyway, the bottom line - dont unplug it lol.

yeah the system is completely stable, its actually stable at 200mhz, but using memtest86 it comes up with some memory errors, but windows and everything runs perfectly fine.
so i backed it down to 180 and it memtest is clear and everything else runs fine.
If what you are saying about it supposed to be doing that, that kinda sucks :( yeah it maintains all the settings, but it seems to require me to change a mem setting for it to reinitialize.

Back