• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8knxp 2.4c @ 3 Ghz, can do better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cornel Iordache

Hi folks,
I did buy a gigabyte 8knxp motherboard and after reading forum I decided to buy this MB. I'm running system as below:
FSB = 255
Memory: 2-5-2-2
Defaullt vcore/vdimm

If I raise FSB to 260 can't boot. At this point system is stable.
Can do better with this card?

Welcome to the forum!

I think that might be the limit for the system, 260FSB is very high, be proud of a good overclock.
You might have to check it is stable at an overclock though, programs like Folding really test a rig so it has to be good. After all, what good is an overclock if it isn't rock stable? :D

Good luck :)

Thanks for reply

I ran sandra "Burn in wizard" 10 times loop and system did pass it. Max cpu temp was 63 C wich I suppose is a very good temp.

I agree that instead of a high freq value but less stability it's prefferable to run a rock-stable system.

Something it's confusing me. With case open I can see that northbridge cooler attached runs only when system start, durring windows xp load cooler stops and didn't start again even if I played UT2003 for about 6 hours. It's not (too) hot, if I touch it. Also durring Sandra Burn didn't start the northbridge cooler. Somebody tolds me that I have to close the case, run something for hours, maybe a day, to overheat the board to get that cooler running due to self control based on temperature. It seems that I cannot start it manualy. Is this a normal behavoir?

Thanks in advance.

The complete system is:
Gigabyte 8knxp, Corsair Twin 512 3200LLTP, P4 2.4C [box] @ 3 Ghz
FSB = 255, mem clock ratio: 2-5-2-2, default vcore/vdim
Video Card Gigabyte GV-92 128 VIVO (ati 9200 chipset based)
HDD WD 80 Gb 7200 rpm / 8 Mb cache
CD-ROM Plextor 52X, CD-RW Plextor 48x
Sound Creative Audigy 2, Pinnacle PC TV tunner
Case Thermaltake 7 series, Power Supply Antec 430 W True Power
Monitor Sony 17" E250
- no floppy drive :)

Well, if you installed the gigabyte easytune4 that controls the NB fan with a thing called "smart-fan" this app only opens in windows, hence the NB fan stopping when Windows boots. I really dislike the application myself, you can set it to turn fans on and off at specified times. Maybe it's me but it makes it seem as though computers only generate heat from 9-5. I'll get off my soap box now. They also kinda hide it, to get to it you have to open easytune, hit the button for hardware monitoring window. then put your mouse by where it says "CPU info" then a blue button should pop out that says smart fan. I just turned mine off and I've never had any problems with it, but do so at your own risk! I've been debating a silent solution from Zalman.... One other thing that just strikes me as odd, though I may be wrong, I believe a CPU temp of 63 is awfully high... the hottest mine has ever gotten is 48, averages 45 running SETI. Of course, I also have an Thermaltake Spark7 HSF that I LOVE. Back to the topic at hand though, I also believe the limit is about 260, that's where mine was topping out but was only mildly stable at that speed.

Best of luck --Brent

I'm very stable at 260 FSB but get temps at 51-51 deg running CM3 (the most demanding app I have). Its 100% stable though.

I'm thinking about going back to 3.0 250 FSB for longterm durability. Not much performance lost I think.

Back