• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SK7 came with circular grooves and machine marks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FatChance

What's up with this? It is hardly flat i can feel and hear the grooves in it.... grrr
-fat

yeh i realize this but i really didn't want to lapp another heatsink oh well -f

after all of the good reviews thermalright got around here, i picked up a couple ax-7s for some quiet cooling in my stepfathers and brothers pc's. both of my "low quality" thermaltake volcano 7+s came with much smoother bases, i am not at all impressed with thermalright.

bk94si said:
Well, thermalrights are supposed to cool better, not look pretty.

The machining marks degrade performance... so its not just looks.

As said, it needs lapping. In my experience, about 1 out of 3 Thermalright heatsinks made in the past year leave the factory with extremely deep machining GROOVES.

bk94si said:

I agree and I did lap mine. What I was trying to say was that I would rather use a rough SK-7 than a thermaltake.

Actually, if you look at my main rig in my sig..... thats with a lapped Volcano 9 :p

LOL JDXNC misunderstood bk94si's comment, LOL!!

bk94s is correct.

Volcano sux ***... Thermalright crushes it.

I never did say the V9 was a great cooler, nor better than Thermalright's products, but a lapped V9( lapping it REALLY helps it) is a LOT better than the stock AMD coolers, and a few other brands *cough* Cooler Master *cough*. It gets me by and by this time tomorrow I will be water cooled anyway ;)

well the volcano 7+ is a pure copper heatsink that weighs quite a bit, and if the whole bs line about an slk800/900 beating a volcano 7+ by 200~300mhz overclock were true, that would mean my old aiuhb 2100 would do an easy 2550-2650 on air at 1.74vcore, as my volcano 7+ does 2350 just fine at 1.74 vcore, with a load temp in the mid 40s. however, i would never suggest any other thermaltake hsf, as i like all copper designs. my point was just that with the two thermalright products i got (ax-7s) the quality was far INFERIOR to my thermaltake v7+s

Back