• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disconnecting fans with the PC on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

7h3r4py

How bad is this? Is it a big no no or does it not really matter? I am tired of turning my PC off to check varying sound levels :\

Well I've done this before and it didn't cause me any problems. It kinda like flicking a switch on and off. I say you should be ok but just watch out for wires shorting out. When the system starts you can just hit pause/break to stop the system from booting and disconnecting the harddrives if you want to turn the system on and off to check sounds.

its no big deal i do it all the time...well so far for me its been no big deal

I disconnected my cpu fan once and logged the temp increase. It went up 10C in 5 minutes. Slower than I would have guessed. (stock 1800+ w/ sk7)

Wow, thats slow. My 2nd rig went up 20c in 1min. My watercooler went up 10c in 2min. Must have good case airflow.

I do it all the time with no problem. One word of warning though, even though you cannot put the connectors in all the way backwards. You can get it close enough to arc, ive heard of someone frying a dvd-rom this way.

I wouldn't do it myself.
-I think there would be a surge draw at connection.
-could connect the plug incorrectly or short it on something else
-could short something else on the board, even with my hand.

I use the dubious method of stopping the fan with my finger; pressuring the cylinder/motor region.

but that's just me.

No problem for me, I do it very often, but you should be sure about the power it will draw if you are connecting fans directly to your Mobo, you should be aware that some fans may fry your mobo because of this.

just make sure your pin doesnt touch any parts of the mobo or the case, i've accidently had the pin touch the case and it caused a shortage to poweroff my computer.

i do it with my 120mm fan... i hook directly in to the mobo, no problems at all. I can't even see the connector and i've never messed it up...

Unplugging and plugging back in a case fan once shut off my pc, but I'm pretty sure that's because I have an EXTREMELY crappy PSU. My voltages are currently at 1.63v, 2.93v, 4.92v, 12.18v. It's a miracle that it's actually on. :p

Back