• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I have a A or a B?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Phoenix87

I recently got a new rig together curious as to wether or not I have a A or B version. I really dont want to take off the HSF because I really dont wanna screw it up like my last systems :eek: . So is there a way to know what version you have without taking off the HSF? I can set the multis from 8-16 and the fsb from 133.5 to 149(max my memory will go) if that helps.

will that proggy tell you the steppings or anything like that other than just the generation or whatever alphabet letter it may be?

best way to be sure is to , yes, *gulp* take the hsf off, and look for yourself. i mean c'mon dude, it takes like 2minutes. and you gotta be dying to know!

GCPUID tells me my processor is a

Processor #1

Processor Information:
CPU Vendor: AuthenticAMD
Processor: AMD AthlonXP(TM) (Thoroughbred 'A')
CPU Type: Original OEM processor
Name String: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2200+
CPU Speed: 1800.06MHz (2199+ PR)

CPUID Information:
Standard: Family: 6 Model: 8 Stepping: 0
Extened: Family: 7 Model: 8 Stepping: 0
Process: 0.13µm
Revision: A0

Basic Cache Information:
L1 Instruction Cache size: 64KBytes
L1 Data Cache size: 64KBytes
L2 Cache size: 256KBytes

Instruction Set:
MMX: Supported
3DNow!: Supported
3DNow!+: Supported
MMX+: Supported
SSE: Supported
SSE2: Not Supported
Thermal Monitoring: Supported

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Standard: Family: 6 Model: 8 Stepping: 0
Extened: Family: 7 Model: 8 Stepping: 0
Process: 0.13µm
Revision: A0

i think thats an A when the stepping is listed as 0 0 =d and i guess that revision A0 confirms that =d
when its 0 1 then its a b =d

Yep, that's an A alright, sorry dude...
When the stepping is 0 then its an A, when its 1 then its a B.

And to answer a Q previously asked, about if its able to get the actual CPU stepping, the answer is no. The stepping is no where to be found recorderded in the CPU itself, so the only way to check it out is to, yes, remove the HSF and look at the chip

Back