• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Putting active fan on 8rda+ NB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SCHMOGIE

Registered
Anyone can help me out here? I've just bought my new 8rda+ rev2, im planning to put active fan on the NB. Whats the best solution in removing the passive heatsink? After it removed, can i put AC3 instead of adhessives or thermal pads, epoxy? Im planning to install vantec iceberg to cool off NB and lastly whats the best solution to put heatsink on every mosfets? Thanks a lot and hoping for your replies...;)

8rda+ rev2
xp2500+ barton
2x256 Twinmos twisterX

I have 8RDA+V1.1. I'm assuming your NB and NB cooler are similar.

Pull the board, flip it over and you'll see the two pins that hold the NB cooler to the board. Pinch the notched ends together and push the pins out. Keep the pins for re-use if you wish. Heat the NB cooler with heatgun/hairdryer and the cooler will twist off easily - revealing the melted-chiclet mess that was a thermal pad. Clean that off.

Check the surface of your NB chip for concavity. Mine was terribly concave. If it is concave, you should lap it flat. If you buy an Iceberg, it comes with two passive copper heatsinks. The larger one makes an excellent sanding block for sanding your NB flat. It took me about an hour to get my NB flat with 600-grit paper.

You can then either use pins to mount the Iceberg, using a good thermal compound such as AS3, or permanently mount it with thermal epoxy. I used pin-mount and AS3.

Microcool offers a kit that includes an impressive NB active cooler and ramsinks for your MOSFETs. I used only the microcool ramsinks, mounting with thermal epoxy.

For thermal epoxy, I recommend Arctic Alumina because it's non-conductive if you get a bit sloppy.

I used a Zalman NB32J passive heatsink for Southbridge. Check both for flatness. My SB was somewhat concave, but not as bad as the NB. The Zalman wasn't flat, sort of like a U-channel, and needed a good bit of metal removal for flatness.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/index.html

The above site has good selection, good prices and is absolutely the fastest-shipping vendor I've dealt with - better than Newegg.

Hope this helps!

Do you mean i have to lap my iceberg nb cooler? How many seconds do i have to blow the hair dyer to the passive NB?

personally i like the freezer method better..

stick your board in a anti-freeze bag.. 1 or even 2..
leave it there for half and hour
take out the board then just use a knife and pry it off.. comes off very eaisly wiht no mess =d

If i will use freezing method, can i use the antistatic plastic bag that came with my m/b? Is it really safe to used that kind of method? after ive finished that kind of method, can i run my system without any hassles? ...:D

'Bout 20 seconds with the hair dryer. You'll see when the 'chicklet mess" (LOL btw) loosens. Just twist it to work it off. Careful though, that mofo will get HOT to the touch! Then clean the mess with alcohol and swabs or cloth.

Your Iceberq probably doesn't need to be lapped. It is up to you though....

If you do the freezer method, I advise you to let the MB warm up to room temp before powering it on. And yes, the static bag that came with the board will do.

And lastly, you can use the old NB sink on the SB. You might need to cut, file or bend some of the fins out of the way. You'll see.

Good luck!

EDIT: I cut up an old pentium HS and laid it across my mosfets. That seemed to do the trick.

You can also reference this site:
http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/article.php?25.255

Thanks a lot for all your advises... i'll post the results... One more thing, this is out of the topic though but i think i'tll be something interesting. When ive configured my 8rda+ rev2, ive noticed something maybe its a sort of conflict. I didnt installed the Realtek sound driver but instead ive installed the nforce default sound driver. Well initially, its fantastic, the sound is great, but the real problem that ive encountered is that i cant used anymore my windows media player to the mp3 and videos. It always produced some sort of choking or slight hangups every 3 secs interval, i cant used also powerdvd. But windvd will do. So, i guessed ill have to installed the realtek driver and see what happens. Ill try to overclocked this mobo once ive finished with cooler on the NB and SB and mosfets... Many thanks again and regards to all...

Back