• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2600+ Overclock on lower end mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MessiahX

Registered
I have a PC CHIPS M848LU mobo and I 2600+ (air cooled) OCed to 2.206GHz (179MHz FSB). Does anyone else here have the same mobo? How high did you get it? I know that the board isn't high end...so I want to know how high I should go (I just got it less than a week ago, so I'm not ready to fry it). Basically I'm just looking for tips on the processor itself, any experiences, and any experience w/the mobo.

Last edited:
Need to post full specs.
Watch your temps.

Download this:
ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/p95v236.zip
from here:
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm
and do this:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=225259

37(min) C to 46(max) C Winter ; 42(min) C to 50(max) C Summer
Epox 8RDA+
Thermalright SK-7 with variable speed 80x25mm YS-Tech FD1281259B-2F
BFG GeForce4 Ti4200 8X 128MB; Antec SX-835II case ; 350W Antec SmartPower SL350
Five 80x25mm Ultra Quiet 18CFM Case Fans (NMB C3110KL-04W-B19)

Well...now it is at 2.27GHz and I haven't really tested it yet to see if it's stable. Plus I'm going to do some gaming w/GTA3 and Unreal to see my temps. Just letting it run gets me 104F or 40C. More on my specs:

256MB DDR333 (can't remember maufacturer)
Standard heatsink/Cooler
2 80mm Case fans intake (one blowing directly onto the processor, I put it in myself)
1 50 or 60MM exhaust
GeForce 2 MX400PCI (tried overclocking...but I can't)
Fairly large case--but generic. Mid tower...about mid-size server sized

And that's about it. I'll post my max temps after some gaming. Are the above temps reasonable for no activity?
Am I starting to push it w/the heatsink & cooler?

No 50ish Celcius is OK but Prime95 Torture test should give you errors witin 5 minutes if your really overclocked more than what your system can handle so that's how you would know.

Is that a 2600 Barton or a Thoroughbred?

Well...I played UT for a while. Got it up to 43C...but I didn't max it out (UT I mean). UT was at 1024x768x16 w/medium details (my videocard is PCI). It is a thouroughbred. I don't think a barton was made of the 2600+. If there was...damn. Guess I should've got one. I have had no hangs or reboots yet. It keeps fairly cool. Prime95, does it really do a lot? Will it just cause a reboot or hang? I think that my current 2.27GHz is high enough. I'll leave it there. I see your 2100+ is faster than mine (OCed). Do you ever have any problems, or is the 2100+ just a better OCer? Also, I'm gonna run GTA3 at 640x480x32 for a while. Then I'll check the temps and post them.

First off: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20030531155656.html

but I haven't seen it in retail yet, has anyone else?

Download this:
ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/p95v236.zip
from here:
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm
and do this:

(If it doesn't give you errors within 5 to 15 minutes, you can push it a little higher)

c627627 said:
To test the stability of overclocked CPU:

Double click on PRIME95.EXE to start the program.

Just Stress Testing (if prompted) > OK >
Options > Torture Test > Blend

The program should not give any errors.
It may be necessery to run the program 12-24 hours to make sure an overclocked system is stable (no program errors displayed).

If you get errors only after several hours, this is a result of slight instability because the system is running with little or no margin. It's stable enough to boot and to be moderately stressed, but as soon as the system is under enough load to go over that critical point, it will freeze. To be 100% stable, Prime95 should run 12-24 hours without any errors.

The whole point of testing is to see if you get errors or not thus testing the stability. The meaning of errors themselves is not the issue.

Well...at 2.27GHz GTA3 crashed after about 15mins. I don't know if its due to the OCing--probably. I put the FSB back down to 179 (instead of 181). I will try Prime95. Hopefully I don't have any errors. But regardless, I think 179 is my limit. Before I had to reboot, the temp was at 113F. Not really anyt6hing to worry about. Thanks. I'll get Prime95 now. Hopefully no errors. It's now at 2.24GHz.

Well...I got an error immedaitely the first time I did a stress test (in Prime95). I tried again and the systemk locked up. I also played GTA3 for 30mins. No problem this time...temp topped out at 113F. I think that where I am is a good place to stop...what do you think? I have had no problems except for Prime95. I don't want to damage or wear out the hardware.

I knew it. This is why I was pushing you to Torture test it.

"...this is a result of slight instability because the system is running with little or no margin. It's stable enough to boot and to be moderately stressed, but as soon as the system is under enough load to go over that critical point, it will freeze. To be 100% stable, Prime95 should run 12-24 hours without any errors."

You got to back down. You can't be getting errors in Prime95 within 15 minutes.

Many of us got errors only after 8 hours (!)
...and we still had to back down from that.

At lest 12 hours no errors in Prime95 is the norm, imho.

Yep, I got to back C up, you should let Prime95 run at the least 12hours, I know I got errors after 6-7hours of begining the stress.. To be sure that the system is stable you should still let it run for 24 hours. in the meantime you CAN use your computer for just about anything, but let it pass one cycle. Usually one cycle takes about 24hours when the PC is untouched.

I see. Though it does freeze, is there a major possibility of damage? Also, I really think that if the damn thing cannot handle it, the board's PnP options should be locked. I'll back it down to 174 (currently 179) and try it again. However, I have a feeling that I'll have to not overclock to get it to run completely stable. And, actually I got an error only once. It actually just completely locked up the other two times. With the FSB at 174, it hasn't frozen up yet, and it made it to test 8, well when I posted this, so I'm only a few mins in. Also, my temp is at 47C and clibing, I'm sure!

well, as posted b4, the board you have isn't the ideal board to OC with it could well be it that is limiting you, or it could also be your RAM.
I suggest you try lower FSB, higher multiplier to get to the same speed and see if it fails prime again, if it does, then its either the CPU or mobo.

One more Q, what is the PSU that you're using?

I'm using some generic 300w PSU that came w/a PII comp I had. True, it may be the RAM, but I am at test 33 w/no problem as of yet. The multiplier is locked, no? I don't want to unlock it if it requires soldering or such things. It's not that important. It's just a small performance increase, albeit noticable.

The CPU is unlocked. And your PSU could actually be the culprit and cause of your problems, you should check out your full load voltages at the highest stable speed

Well, if you can help me...I have hmonitor running w/Prime95. Here's what it says:

+12V max 11.71 min 11.58
+5V max 4.94 min 4.91
core 1.65 (max and min) Also, is this safe? It seems like it is from other posts I've read...just want to make sure
I/O max 3.34 min 3.33
Aux max 2.5 min 2.48 (this is highlighted in red, not sure what it means)
It seems stable at 2.18GHz (almost defeats the purpose, doesn't it?)

Also, about the multi, I'm not sure I can change. I don't think the BIOS will let me. It's AMIBIOS (don't remember what version), and it says in the CPU PnP setup that the 'CPU ratio' is locked. is this the right thing, or am I looking in the wrong spot?

*EDIT:* OK, rephrased my answer :p 3am is a bad time to still be awake appearantly...

your voltages seem fine and the CPU Ratio is the right thing.

Now let it run for at least 12 hours and see what happens. The purpose we set is for our PCs to run as fast as possible but sustaining 100% stability, not less.

Last edited:
Ok. Yeah...I can't change the CPU ratio. I'll have to look more into it later. So far, there have been no errors at 2.18GHz, and Prime95 has been running for 2 hours.

I just wanted to know, what is the full load temps that you're getting with Prime running?

48C was my highest. I ran p95 for about 7 hours. It actually dropped down to 47 sometimes, though.

Back