• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fan connector wiring

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xHUNTERx

Registered
I just bought 4 panaflo ultra silent fans from case-mod.com, they're having it onsale for$3.50, but i just found out that these fans use a 2 pin connector rather than the 3 pins that i have on my other fans. I really dont feel like spending anymore money on wires and stuff, is there anyway i can just cut the wires and rewire them to become a two pin connector?

Welcome To the forum!

You can connect them to the 4-pin Molex connectors coming out of your Power supply, or you could connect them to the 3-pin headers on the motherboard..

Yes, it's fairly simple to change :)

Do you have the model of the fans so I can look it up?

actually i looked at the fans again it's not the ultra quiet version but rather dc brushless (damn i thought i bought the ultra quiet ones), model # is FBA08A12L, the voltage is 12V

The Panaflos I've seen/used have their wires plugged into them and all have 3 headers on the fan itself with printing on the label designating which pin is what. There're the +, the ground, and the RPM signal leads. You might not need all the signal wires, so your 2 wires should be fine; just a + voltage and ground (likely 12V+).

btw, a number of sites sell (or used to) "tails" for panaflos. These plug into the fan's plug and the other end can be had in 3-pin, 4-pin molex, or bare wire, and so forth.

Hmm...

According to this (I haven't found a pic of it full including the wires..) 'This fan comes tailed with a standard 3 pin, two lead, motherboard fan connector'

http://www.siliconacoustics.com/panfba080.html

It could be that it is a normal 3 pin connector with only two wires. Looks like it has two wires.

The third one (missing on your fans) is used to measure how fast the fan is spinning but not all fans use it. Have a look at the connector, sure it only has 3 holes with two wires?

If it is definately a two-pin connector you can mod it :)

the connector is two pin not 3 pin, but the other end on the fan is the 3 wiring with lables +, - and S, so how's the mod done again?

xHUNTERx said:
the connector is two pin not 3 pin, but the other end on the fan is the 3 wiring with lables +, - and S, so how's the mod done again?

Connect the + wire to a yellow wire coming from the power supply, and connect the - wire to a black wire coming from the power supply. Molex connectors have both wires so they are handy.

Or you can connect it directly to a 3-pin fan header on the motherboard, but I can't remember which wire goes to which pin on the header. I'll dig out my manual.

Either way, both give out 12v.

xHUNTERx said:
actually i looked at the fans again it's not the ultra quiet version but rather dc brushless (damn i thought i bought the ultra quiet ones), model # is FBA08A12L, the voltage is 12V
No, you got essentially the same fan assembly as the one advertised as 'ultra quiet,' just your is running at its intended voltage (12v) while the 'ultra quiet' one is a 24v fan (FBA08A24L1A) that is undervolted when put on the 12v found in a PC. According to this datasheet you have the FBA08A12L1A that flows 24 CFM at 21 dBA. That's very quiet, so you probably won't need to change it at all. If you wanted even less noise you could undervolt it to 7v or 5v. For 7v, connect + to yellow and GND to red. For 5v, + to red and GND to black. The fan might not be able to spin with only 5v, however.

lowering the voltage will also lower the air flow of the fan right?

Back