• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximum Voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tycanadian

A few questions for you insano's:

1. What is the maximum voltage I should be using that is safe? My NF7-S 2.0 goes up to 2.3V but is that safe? I do have sub-zero vapor chilling, so if anyone should do it I probably can.

2. I have the Mushkin Black Lev2 PC3500 2-2-2 RAM. When I run it at CAS 2-2-2-6 my FSB can only go up to like 208 or 210 or something, and when I run it at 2-3-3-7 it can go 220+. Why is this? And I know it's not the RAM since the same thing happens when RAM is running at 200 at same CAS settings. Can I fix this? What is the performance difference between 2-2-2 and 2-3-3?

3. If Prime95 lasted like 3 seconds at 2.67 GHZ at 2.0V, 1 min at 2.03V, 1 min at 2.06V, and 5 min at 2.1V, should I keep upping the voltage and it might eventually be stable?

Any feedback to any of these would be most appreciated. Thanks!

1. I wouldn't go over 2.1 with vapochill even, maybe risk it and go to 2.15...

2. The lower you set the timings the more your RAM is going to be stressed, that's why your max FSB drops, its the RAM "limiting" you. But its going to improve performance. You should do benchmarks on both settings and see which one of them gives you best performance.

3. Probably no, you will burn out the chip due to high voltage before you can make it stable. because going to 2.3 on a Tbred is suicidal.

May not have been clear, but in my #2, I determined that it is NOT the RAM that's causing that to happen, just my FSB on my mobo. Even when the RAM is clocked asynchronously at lower speeds (like 200), my FSB can't hit 220 with those timings.

One more thing...why do I see some peeps on the CPU database on overclockers.com with voltages like 2.2V? Isn't that insanely high? I just really want to get it working at this speed cause then I'll be like #2 or #3 on the 2600+ list =).

2.2v is insanely high, and if you're seeing these issues with the FSB might be your northbridge, try upping your VDD and see what happens then

My VDD is at the max (1.7V) and I can't solder to save my life so I'm not modding it. Plus I have watercooling, vapor chilling, and a crapload of cables in my PC so taking the mobo out to do something to it would take like a week =(.

Has anyone used extremely high voltages? Any experiences?

Back