• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Peltier and watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
1. yes...it's possible to build a watercooling system that will run for years without needing service.

2. Possibly... for any *modern* CPU, you need a higher powered peltier, which requires more power than your pc PSU can supply. You typically will need a second power supply to run your peltier.

vonkaar said:
1. yes...it's possible to build a watercooling system that will run for years without needing service.

2. Possibly... for any *modern* CPU, you need a higher powered peltier, which requires more power than your pc PSU can supply. You typically will need a second power supply to run your peltier.

i would change answer number two to a yes. I definitely think if you are gonna get a pelt you need a seperate power supply, because the pelt is gonna need some decent power to cool modern cpus.

the most common pelt for CPU's is the 226w. 226w divided by the 12 volts the PSU can supply makes 18.333 amps. that's an entire 400w fortron. if you do it this way your best bet will prolly be getting an antec true power for it unless you can get a 12V DC powersupply that can put out more then 19 amps and is cheaper then a true power 480 or maybe even a 430. last i saw 226 watt pelt PSU's were over $100. i got my true power 550 for $99.99

that being said. yes you would need something else to power the water cooling system. most of your common hom made water cooling systems use AC power hobby pumps. these plug into the wall outlet as the wiring in your house is AC (alternating current) while computer parts run on DC (direct current) so yes they both have different power supplies but with the water system you can plug it into the wall or one of those PCI relay cards that plug into the wall. so yo only really need to buy one power supply.

Last edited:
emericanchaos said:
the most common pelt for CPU's is the 226w. 226w divided by the 12 volts the PSU can supply makes 18.333 amps.

It's worse than that, actually. The 226w is a measurement of heat (generation or dissipation, I cannot remember). Most 226w TEC's draw 25a @ 12v. 300w of fun for it :rolleyes:.

Operativesix is not spot on, but around the truth.

The good ole' 226W TEC has it's maximum specification set at around 15Volts and 24 Amps.

Most of us overclockers run it at 12V, that will lessen the currentdraw (under normal circumstances) to about 19-20 amps.

"226W" denotes it's MAXIMUM heatpumping capability in Watts, which occures at those 15V and 24 Amps (and only during special circumstances).

Back