• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8RDA start-up problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yog

I got this whole new setup a while ago and have been running it for a while but have been ignoring this problem. Check my sig to see what all I am running.

When I first start up the computer in the morning (or whenever for that matter) it will start up and the regular BIOS screen comes up with all the temps. and fan speeds, etc. except there are no temps and the only fan speed is the CPU fan and it is at 4 thousand something and is in red. So I hit the reset button and sometimes it will do it again and sometimes I have to hit it a few times before it will finally start up and go into windows.

Why is this happening? I have asked several people at computer stores and they all say to flash the BIOS again but all I have is that crappy windows flasher utility that came with the motherboard, and it wants to download the latest BIOS and that is already what I am running. I do not have a 3.5" drive in the computer cause I dont' really see a need for one (except for this circumstance). Will this fix the problem or is it something more serious. Also does it have something to do with the CPU fan? when it doesn't start is says that it is a 4 thousand something and when it does start it is at 5 thousand something instead.

What should I do?

Thanks

You mean Thoroughbred 2600+

You did reset the CMOS, didn't you?

(Computer corner stores sell floppy drives for like $5, they're like $7 on newegg, aren't they?)

The CPU fan speed sensor varies a bit, that's why the numbers are different.

Reset the CMOS.

Then update to latest BIOS if it doesn't help.

Is it a 'cool factor' thing to build a system without a floppy? Are floppies too retro?

How cool is it when the only method you have to flash your BIOS is via Windows, and your system is unstable? That's an outstanding formula for smoking your BIOS chip!

There are numerous diagnostic programs and utilities that are written to run only from a floppy. Perhaps you won't need them, but you probably will find them useful.

Get a floppy. Hide it when your friends are visiting. Buy one just before store-closing, so no one sees you.

Laughing out loud... permission to quote this in future threads?

:D :D

Actually, I offer my apology.

The sarcasm wasn't really called for.

I behaved like an ***.

I simply think a floppy drive can be a lifesaver in some very real situations.

It's true, ya' know....I ran my rig without a floppy for a while just because I didn't think I'd need it and I wanted to run my LCD cable through the floppy hole....

Well, I needed it...several times...only to have to rig it up outside of the case dangling as it wrenches away with that awful floppy seek sound ;)

It's worth havin one

are you talking about the magic bios utility? That i agree is crap, since all it lets you do is flash the latest bios. Winflash, however, is quite nice. You can load any BIOS and flash it, old or new. It should be in the dir where magic bios installed.

on a side note, i too am in the no-floppy crowd. I ditched it over a year and a half ago, and havent really missed it. If i ever NEED one i can stick one in.

bad4u: i didnt think there was anything wrong with what you said, as long as everyone takes it the right way (and the way you said it i dont think people will). Personally i thought it was funny ("hide it when your friends come over"):)

bad4u-

I agree what you said before could be taken badly but if it was I think it is too bad. I thought it was funny so don't be sorry for it. And thanks for the help.

I was wondering about this becuase I wasn't sure if I should use the winflash utility.

Thanks for all the help

Well I put in a floppy and it didn't work so I ended up using the winflash utility and it didn't fix anything. It still starts up and sits in the BIOS until I restart it. I wonder if it has anything to do with how cold it is when it starts?

Any other ideas on how to fix this?

1. Did you clear the CMOS for 5 seconds then put the CMOS jumper back?

2. What do you mean "it didn't work"?
You need to make sure the first boot device is A:
You need to start the system with some sort of a boot floppy disk.

3. When you say BIOS, you mean your system starts and goes straight into the blue BIOS menu?

"regular BIOS screen comes up with all the temps" you say.
You mean the black screen comes up and it hangs there or the blue screen comes up and it stops there?

4. If it's the black screen what exactly does it display when it hangs?

1. no I have not reset the CMOS.

2. The screen that it hangs on is the initial black screen that also displays the temps and fan speeds.

3. After installing the floppy the computer doesn't see it, so I assume that it is dead.

4. It is supposed to display all the fan speeds and mobo and CPU temp but all it displays is CPU fan and power fan speeds.

Any ideas?

Thanks

1. Double :eek: Why? Pray tell. Reseting BIOS is what you're supposed to do when you have BIOS problems.

2. OK, this is because you may not have connected your hard drives, CD-ROMs, CDRWs and / or floppy cables correctly. What is your boot sequence inside BIOS (blue screen) A: first or C: first or CD-ROM first?

Consult your manual, make sure all your master/slave jumpers are correctly placed and that you connected the power to all the devices correctly along with the IDE cables.

Disconnect all but master hard drive and see if the problem goes away.
If it does, it's one of the above.

Back