• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan wiring question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Milkman

I have a question about 2 delta 3 wire fans I just received,tailed only I have a black a blue and a red wire, how do I wire it to get full speed on these fans? for referance it's a WFB1212m 120mm fan.

thanks guys
Milkman

I would guess that the blue is the sensor wire, the black is ground (0v) and the red is 12v.

It will only spin if the 12v and gorund are connected properly, to test it ignore the sensor wire. If the fan spins when two wires are connected then the third is sensor.

Get a 9v battery and connect the red and black wires to it and see...

Or connect it to a molex header, black-black and red-yellow.

Well, to get them to spin at the motor capacity (or close)...I could be wrong the way they wire em coul be a bit below the motor capacity.

The only thing I can think of that would hold the fans back from running at full is if there is a temperature probe on the side of the fan. (near the wire area)

It would look like two wires coming out and are connected with a big globby thing at the end of them...(you won't see the ends of the wires).

To get around that, cut off the actual probe (the globby thing) and just bend the two wires so that they touch. That seems to always work for me on temp'd fans :)

Fold and Frag on
Brian

The WFB1212m is a 12v DC fan, .2 amps. So all you have to do is find a spare molex plug (You MIGHT be able to use a mobo header to run it, check your mobo manual or spec sheet to see if they run 12v and can handle .2 amps).

Take the Red Wire (+) and go to the yellow wire on the molex connector (12v+). The black wire from the fan should go to the adjacent Black wire (-) on the molex. This will run the fan at 12v DC, the full rating. You could buy a Female Molex and some Pins and make it real non-ghetto... Personally, I used some electrical tape and shoved the wires inside a molex from the PSU.. hah!

The blue wire is the RPM sensor. You can connect this to your motherboard on a fan header. Looking at the fan header with the plastic 'guard' on the bottom (you'll see what I mean if you look at one), the end pin on the right is the fan sensor pin. You can connect the blue wire from your fan to that pin and your motherboard will sense the Delta's RPM if you so choose.
Again, you could get all fancy on our asses by buying some more connectors from Sidewinder Computers if you really wanted to.

Sounds like you got your problem solved, but just thought I might send you and some of the folks out there a few tricks that I have used in the past to overspin my various fans which in turn increases cfm and decreases temps at no cost to the user! I never went to 24V, but have had no problems at running 17V. Just a thought for anyone wanting a little extra for nothing! :) Heres the info: http://www.afrotechmods.com/fanmod.htm

Back