• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got another Asus A7N8X Delux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Huan

Registered
got another Asus A7N8x Deluxe board in and I still cannot get it to post, beep or nothing other than hearing the hd power up and the fans come on when I hit the power button.

I'm using (( or trying for that matter )) to use an AMD xp 2500 "Barton" cpu

Crucial pc2100 256x2 chips
Seagate 20.0gig hd
Hercules GeForce 2 gts 64mb video card.
52x Cd-rom (( lite on I believe ))
Antec Model PP-352X 350w psu
Stock cooling fan.

I've made a post before, say bout three weeks ago about having this same problem before I RMA'd it to newegg for this one. And same problem as before.. Fans, HD all start up, but no post, beeping.. Nothing else..

I heard that this board has issues with certain corsair memory's spd or something there abouts.. Could my older PC2100 sticks be at blame?

I"m in need of serious help... This stuff is getting expensive.

If you are getting fans powering up but no video its possible your cpu is bad or yes it could be your memory. Do you have a spare of either around to try? The only problems I have heard with memory and that board were with some corsair modules. Perhaps though it is trying to run your memory out of spec for some reason.

Yeah, I have a amd 1700 xp cpu,.. still same result though. I'm supposed to use all metal stand offs and screwes to mount the boards still aren't I? I'm just out of ideas really to try. I'd hate to just have to return the board for a refund after RMAing one already... If i have a bad stick of memory, could that also prevent it from booting? or would that at least get me a beep of some sort? Still no beeps at all from this thing.

I've tried an MX card of mine.. Heh never thought about hooking up speakes to it when i powered it on.. Says "system failed Memory test...... so... I'm gonna mess with my sticks and if they don't work... i'll order new ones... God I hope this is all

Btw, thanks for the tip.

Huan said:
I've tried an MX card of mine.. Heh never thought about hooking up speakes to it when i powered it on.. Says "system failed Memory test...... so... I'm gonna mess with my sticks and if they don't work... i'll order new ones... God I hope this is all

Btw, thanks for the tip.

Try just one stck.

Yeah, I turned on the more thorough up option in the bios to check the memory etc more carefully.. Apparently one stick was bad cause after I removed it all is good. Though that No Cpu Install voice kept going on and on and probably still would be if I didn't delete it from the list of sounds.

Its odd really to why I was getting that error.. If I cleared the c-mos via jumpers. Then booted up it'd be okay.. But if I did a cold boot it'd be back in buisness again repeating the same message over and over.. I even replaced the onboard battery and same result...

I'm thinking of ordering some GEIL pc 3200 memory for my box sense i'm not gonna oc it.

Huan, If you were not able to p.o.s.t. then how were you able to turn on an option in the BIOS ? I'm asking because I'm having the same problem, except, my system turns on, drives start spinning, but then shuts down after about 30 secs.

After finding the bad stick of memory and placing the only good one in the slot, it post.. I agree with Ir0nman, you soundd like your thermal protection is kicking in and shutting you down.

Heh i'm thinking seriously about just returning this board as well.. Maybe they'll let me switch to another brand of board.. Two Asus' Nforce 2 boards and both were unsatisfactory. My sound garbles up after listening to mp3's for about 5 minutes.. Games sound garbles after a few minutes.. Its just been all a huge disappointment and a bad first impression for me with asus.

Wonder if anyone else makes a good quality NF2 board.

Not ocing at all actually.. All Stock.. Tis why i'm thinking I have another board with issue's.

You may want to try a small heatsink on the southbridge and see if it corrects the sound issue.

Jim

why should he have to? if its all stock, he should be able to play video/games/mp3's etc no problem, with no issues at all. If he cant, then its a hardware issue, which needs to be narrowed down to the source and then if its a dud piece of hardware, RMA'd.

I'm having (sorta) a similar issue...that is, the system will only allow me to run the Corsair @ 200 and not 400...system will not post if I push the memory to 400....given my specs there is no reason I should have to run the memory at 1/2 speed...

Hmm.. well the closes method of cooling the southbridge chipset is using a very powerful fan and haveing it blow inside the case during use.. Same results though. I'd really love it if this board would work, but it appears I recieved another dud. Does newegg allow you to swap for a different brand of board without the restocking fee? I may have to just do that.

Hey, I got similar problem with my board. It worked fine for a week with stock HSF. I installed Volcano 10 and it failed POST. CPU and case fans spin, but that's about it. So I unpluged everything and took CPU and memory and other stuff out, I got a message "No CPU installed". I put CPU back and nothing else, no beeps or other messsages. I took it out again- same message. Anyway, I sent the board back to NEWEGG for repair. Now I'm thinking maybe I should have asked for a refund.
ASUS A7N8X Dlx 2.0
1 Corsair DDR400 512MB
GeForce 4 MX 440
WD 40g HDD
Antec SL350

The southbridge gets hot whether you got it stock or o/c it, it does't matter. There's been may threads about it, try touching the southbridge when it's acting up to see if it's hot, just don't burn your finger. The only other thing is maybe update the sound drivers, maybe try the ones from nvidia. The nvidia drivers have helped the abit boards, as they've had thier share of sound problems too.

Jim

Back