• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman CNPS7000AlCu and P4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bdunosk

Registered
I see some people are using the CNPS7000AlCu on their P4 2.4C's and getting some decent overclocks. Are those with super-low ambient temps? I'm thinking of migrating away from watercooling, but we'll see. :p

a friend of mine just picked up one of these Zalmans for an AMD 1700+ and hes at low 40s @2400 MHz so i think they do a pretty good job with regular ambient temps

When my a/c is on and my room is at ~73°F, my cpu is at 37°C but at ~80-84°F, my cpu is around 44°C. I'm currently running my 2.4c @ 3024mhz (252 fsb).

-Bobby

I have a 2.4c @ 3.12 and a Zalman Alcu. My CPU temps dropped 4-5C. Whether the Ambient is hot cool or whatever the temps are 4-5C lower then they were at any given temp before.

One thing though I've had the Zalman for over a month now and have a 120mm fan spinning slow, but pushing air on to the board from the side of my case. The Zalmn has tiny little fins and mine are getting clogged up with dust.

Temps are still good though
Looks like I'll need to clean this thing every few months.

I have filters on all four intake fans and no dusting problems other than the filters. :D

-Bobby

Bobby said:
I have filters on all four intake fans and no dusting problems other than the filters. :D

-Bobby

What filters do you use? I haven't found one yet that doesn't restrict airflow more then I like.

I use the ones that came with my case (Enermax CS-10181B). It's the same as the Tt Xaser 3 w/o the goofy front. There is a little restriction but not really much and in a month, it catches a lot of dust so I clean them every 1-2 months though I've only had the case about 2-3 months now. I dremeled out any other obstructions to those fans though. Some on the case, some on the bracket that holds the filter.

Front with filters:
frontfan1.jpg

Front w/o filters (you can see where I cut the bracket):
frontfan2.jpg

Side panel outside:
sidepanel.jpg

Side panel inside (cut out):
sidepanel2.jpg

Side fans (cut x brace over the filters):
sidefan12.jpg

-Bobby

i filtered the front of my case with some ac filter. were the fount fans are were the empty drive bays are everything that had a hole in it. my temp's haven't changed that much. maybe 1c but thats it. all i have is an intake over the harddrive and an exhaust fan and the ps fan.

Do you think the AlCu would do good on a 1.8b (Wilmette) chip?

Sorry to hijack your thread.

I'm currently, sadly, getting 40 idle temps (yes, stock speed) with a crappy *** Tt P4 Dragon.... Yes, its sick. 53 load temps on a P4 suck. 2 intake, 2 exhaust (front and back respectively), side intake, Radeon 9500 Pro.
Also have a 2 fan Antec PSU...

Ideas? Thank you!

Ffats said:

I'm currently, sadly, getting 40 idle temps (yes, stock speed) with a crappy *** Tt P4 Dragon.... Yes, its sick. 53 load temps on a P4 suck. 2 intake, 2 exhaust (front and back respectively), side intake, Radeon 9500 Pro.

Depends... What's the temp in your room? It does seem a bit high but if you're not o/c'ing it and it's that high, there could be a few reasons. What thermal paste are you using?

You might want to look at a Tt Spark 7. It's much cheaper ($25 shipped) and should do just fine for a 1.8.

The temps I mentioned previously were load temps.

-Bobby

Yeah, I've been trying to bum my friend's Spark 7 off of him (he bought it because he thought he was going to use it for his 'new' computer... He now says he'll probably never get a new comp out of his money!).

My room is pretty warm... Its up here temporarily and I'm guessing maybe 70F in my room. Unfortuneately, my last thermometer broke due to a nice little racoon, but I'll be buying a new one soon.

I'm using the Antec paste, but that shouldn't effect it much - good application too.

Note:
Just cleaned out my system after a month of usage - my temps are down a couple degrees, so I'm quite happy about that. I usually cleaned it out with my air compressor weekly when it was down in my basement. Just because, hah.

70°F or 80°F? 70°F is pretty cool. I don't get that low with my a/c blasting on a hot day.

Good thermal paste can give you 3-7°C drop compared to what you're using. Ceramique and Nanotherm PCM+ are 2 of the best you can buy and it's not that expensive.

-Bobby

Interesting... the only thing I am concerned about is if my P4 is heat-OC dependent. Water should do a better job cooling than air... but it's so darn expensive and requires so much upkeep. If there are now HSF that run cool and quietly, it makes a tough case for going back to air.

see sig, the temps is when i have my ac turned on the whole day, but with the ac turned off, my temps is around 34 idle, 49 load.

Ffats said:
Do you think the AlCu would do good on a 1.8b (Wilmette) chip?

Sorry to hijack your thread.

Also have a 2 fan Antec PSU...

Ideas? Thank you!

FFats: Ask this question to me in a personal message on Sunday. I am getting one this weekend and I will send you info or I can post here.

I have a 2.4C 3312A Costa Rica on an Asus P4C800Dlx. My ambient temp is 23c, my case temp is 25c. My Zalman CNPS7000CU (Not AlCu) Keeps my proc @3566MHz 41C under load.

Well, I just took the plunge. I guess if the HSF sucks compared to water, I can go back... I got the AlCu, it seems it performs just as well as the Cu. Too bad I don't have a motherboard that will let me OC (yet). :)

B

My ambients are definitely not 70f.... I'm retarded.... Its way hotter, and thats probably a big problem (5c or more difference I assume when I put it back in the cool basement.)

Back