• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think my abit ic7-g is dead

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OcLinNoob

I plugged everything in checked it myself and everything. But this thing doesn't turn on. When i switch the power on the light is green and then when i push the power button it comes on for like 1 second and then the light turns red. I check everything and everything is in place. Stupid returned items at frys work like crap. They should have better inspection. But the weird thing is when it turns on i don't c my vid card fan moving. I know my vid card isn't broken because when i last used it like a week ago in another ic7 and it worked perfectly.

no beep noise because no speaker. I also smelled something weird when i turned it on for 10 seconds so i immediatel turned it off and when i took my heatsink off for some reason the cpu was stuk also rite under the heatsink. Thats weird because i locked it down. One of the small gold pins was slight bent so i bent it back and it looks perfectly rite now. I don't know what to do now

Never seen that before, but maybe there was something in the CPU slot when you turned it on. I'd probably RMA it, also test that CPU in another mobo to be sure nothing got screwed up with that.

i don't got another board to test the cpu. I just got the cpu too from newegg.

Well, something is amiss. The light turns red when the mobo powers up (the green should still be illuminated, you just can't see it well over the red).

I would try unplugging everything from the mobo except the PSU and CPU. See if the heatsink fan at least starts up. It sounds like something died.

I ran into a problem when my board refused to boot up all the way. Fans would spin, but there was no CPU activity. I had to unplug everything, then replug it all in and it worked fine. Not sure what happened, but I guess the one of the two PSU connections was slightly disconnected from the mobo.

Yea I think my mb is dead than. THere is no way my other stuff is dead because i got it brand new a newegg, and barely been using it for like 4 days. Dam you FRY"S Check ur damn products b4 u sell them back on the shelf.

yea but theres no way i can check the cpu. It looks perfectly fine also. This is getting very strestful :(

i bet you money is the cpu. Think about it, cpu pins bent, wasn't socketed with the zif lever correctly, and came right off with the heatsink. However, the problem you were experiencing with the vid card fan not working, did you try reseating the vid card. Were every single one of the other fans in your system working? Did you reseat the p1 power cable adaptar? Did you plug in the 4pin (2row 2 column) 12v adaptor on the mobo?

This is probably not the problem but it sounds like when I had an extra stand off under the mother board where there wasn't a screw hole...got that smoking smell and the other symtoms you described....

roYal, yes i did that. But I don't think it is the cpu. It was 100% brand new wen I put it in. And the bent pin wasn't really that bent on one pin also and i c no pyhsical dmg. I bent the pin back it it is in perfect alignment now. But i also did try the cpu b4 the pin was bent and nothing would boot up also, so i remove the cpu than plugged it back in and it didn't work than thats when i took it back out again and it was stuck on the bottom of my hs. By the way one small bent pin and I bent it back should do any harm to my cpu rite?

I don't think the bent pin is relevant. It's the fact that something was more than likely inside the socket when you booted it up (the smell as well as the bent pin).

thats wat i was thinking. I think he leaked some as3 or some thermal paste in it. The socket is pretty dirty and stained with some kind of thermal paste.

what frys was this
just for future reference, because i haev a frys near me :(

Back