• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screwdriver slipped off HS and jabbed board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Timmybighands

Hey,

So I changed processors today, and after I was done, I put the HS back on. While I was bending the clips down, my screwdriver slipped off and jabbed the MB.

If you look closely at the top of the MB, there are TINY little white lines at the top of the processors white "plug in". My screwdriver hit one of those lines and broke the connection. Now there is a little tiny gap, and the comp. wont boot.

Am I screwed? Please offer any suggestions.

I tried using a graphite pencil to "color" the line back in, but that's not working either.

Shane

By the way, the D-Bracket shows Red Green
Red Red

which means a Memory Detection Test fail... what the?

Last edited:
soder the gap or fill with some kind of metal compound. If nothing else MSI has a 2 year warrenty on all mobo and 3 on some others. Just RMA it back to the company. Make sure you have a good excuse :D

I was thinking of buying another from newegg and sending them my old one back. Do you think they would take it since it's damaged?

I bought it from a friend, who bought it on ebay, and it has no warranty available.

thanks

Sure it does. Forget about trying to return it to some company that might have sold it long ago, send it right back to an MSI distribution center and they will send you another one.
Go Here and fill out the online request form, even if they say its your fault and dont return it your only out a few bucks for shiping and if they do you got a brand new board

Okay,

I sent an RMA request. I said that the SATA connector 1 will not hold onto the cable very well... which is true.

Also said that it is failing the memory test - which it is, because the D-Bracket says so...

Also said that I get no visual anything... which is true, but I DID NOT tell them I stabbed the board. I think if they look at it, they will see, it's pretty damn obvious. We'll see what happens.

Yes I did. I have to agree with everyone.

If everybody does the same thing, eventually everyone could loose the privelige (sp) of the RMA.... point taken

as i sed in another post:
if u break it make it look not broken then rma it, they deserve it for making hardware that will break if u bellyflop into it.

edit: obviously no one noticed this was meant to be a joke - so im telling you its a joke

Last edited:
siavash_s_s said:
if u break it make it look not broken then rma it, they deserve it for making hardware that will break if u bellyflop into it.

That's along the lines of "if they made it, and I break it, it's their fault because it wasn't unbreakable"!!!

That has to be one of the most ignorant statements I've read in these forums in a long time. Let me see if I get this straight, if you were to go buy a new car, then as you leave the lot, you wrap it around a telephone pole because you forgot to mention to them that you didn't know how to drive, it's their fault for selling you the car? You seem to be the type of person that would sue a restaraunt for giving you hot coffee if you were to burn yourself when you spill it in your own lap.

If the warranty that is sold to me at Fry's and they said I can return for three years no matter if I broke if for a $15 exchange fee. I do not see anything wrong with it.

siavash_s_s said:

Ridiculous. We all pay for your ignorance.

Originally posted by SinsFeelNatural
If the warranty that is sold to me at Fry's and they said I can return for three years no matter if I broke if for a $15 exchange fee. I do not see anything wrong with it.

First off, I'm not sure that their extended warrantee really covers dicing a motherboard with a screwdriver. Second, that's not what people are talking about in this thread.

RideGuy

RideGuy said:

Ridiculous. We all pay for your ignorance.

First off, I'm not sure that their extended warrantee really covers dicing a motherboard with a screwdriver. Second, that's not what people are talking about in this thread.

RideGuy

since your such a nice guy calling people ignorance I'll point it out to you.:D

Timmybighands said:
Okay,

I sent an RMA request. I said that the SATA connector 1 will not hold onto the cable very well... which is true.

Also said that it is failing the memory test - which it is, because the D-Bracket says so...

Also said that I get no visual anything... which is true, but I DID NOT tell them I stabbed the board. I think if they look at it, they will see, it's pretty damn obvious. We'll see what happens.

SinsFeelNatural said:

since your such a nice guy calling people ignorance I'll point it out to you.:D

Talk about ignorance...you obviously did not read his next post:

Originally posted by Timmybighands

Yes I did. I have to agree with everyone.

If everybody does the same thing, eventually everyone could loose the privelige (sp) of the RMA.... point taken

RideGuy

RideGuy said:

Talk about ignorance...you obviously did not read his next post:

RideGuy

No need to get heated. No matter what your views are in RMAing hardware, what I asked did pertain to this thread and I was simply pointing it out to you.

I don't think that manufacturers are going to stop letting people RMA items back, they know that sometimes they make a defective part and if they don't allow an RMA they could get in big trouble with the Better Business Bureau and other ethical business practice firms. Yes some people abuse the privilege but I worked in a computer shop for a while and accidents happen, but so do SH** boards. At one time we RMAed back 10-15 of the same model MSI board, was this our fault? Not at all, MSI actually admitted problems with that board and sent us the new ones promptly. Occasionally somebody forgets to change the FSB on a board when downgrading from a faster test proc and a board or processor fries, but then I still think its OK to RMA the item back because in the <5 minutes it takes to notice the burnt smell or see your mistake in the POST the proc/board shouldn't have died unless there was a HUGE difference in speeds. If anyone has any other thoughts on this I would appreciate the input, I don't know if I just worked in a "looser" shop or if this is common practice, but it allowed us to give the customer a fair price for their computer.

Back