• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Barton 2500+ please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

briant6

Registered
Help with Barton 2500+ please (Interesting finding)

System:

Barton 2500+ (11*166, 1.6v Vcore)
Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0
2x256 MB HyperX PC3200 (2-2-2-6 SPD)
WD 60GB 7200 RPM HDD
DVD-ROM, DVD+RW
No PCI cards installed yet.

Installed everything from scratch all at default settings. After I was done installing WinXP w/ SP1, I restarted the computer and saw the BSOD. It said windows was shutdown to prevent serious damage (I also had this error during XP setup). I tried reinstalling 3 times already. I kept seeing the darn BSOD. Anybody know why?

Last edited:
Try with one stick or RAM. Wash, rinse, repeat with the other if you get the same errors.

Have you run memtest86 yet? Defective memory is a possibility.

temp is under 40C...I will try the memtest later...thank you for the suggestions....anyone else?

Last edited:
i ran memtest 86 for about 20 mins and it failed test number 7...tested each stick individually...found 1 stick bad...it didn't pass test number 7....installed winxp with one stick and setup was OK...oc'ed to xp3200 (200*11)...running prime95, failed after 10 minutes....upped voltage to 1.75v from 1.65 v....prime95 is still running now...RMAed other stick back to newegg...with experience like this, I think I'll stay away from hyperx in the future :(

It sucks you got a bad stick but at least you know what was the problem now, and you're O/Ced.
Good luck with the new RAM

I have this same board and it would not install a OS with HyperX or Corsair XMS.
These same sticks of ram work fine in my other boards.

Crucial and Samsung work for this board for me.

interesting finding

I wanted to make sure that the bad stick is actually defective...originally, it was in slot 2 and it failed memtest86...I put it in slot 1 now, it's running fine with memtest86 (for 30 mins so far)...no errors for now... what gives??? is there something wrong with my slot 2 of the memory bank? will try prime95 next to see if it's stable

anyone experienced something like this?

UPDATE: The bad stick in slot 1 failed the blend torture tests in prime95 instantly...I guess I have to send it back after all

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, what is the stepping on that 2500+???

Mine does 3200+ speed at stock (actually less cuz my board undervolts Vcore, so around 1.60), I am surprized you had to bump up the Vcore for this speed.

G|-|oST said:
Just out of curiosity, what is the stepping on that 2500+???

Mine does 3200+ speed at stock (actually less cuz my board undervolts Vcore, so around 1.60), I am surprized you had to bump up the Vcore for this speed.

I didn't notice when I installed the cpu...it is whatever stepping newegg ships right now...it will boot to winxp at 1.65v but failed prime95...I raised to 1.75 to see if it will pass prime95 and it did for 6 hours...it might work at a lower voltage but I will try that later

Back