• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could someone talk me through overclocking my XP2500+ with NF7 Mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bunraku

Hi

My Rig is

Athlon 2500XP+ 333FSB
ABIT NF7 Mobo
1024 MB DDR400
Thermalite Volcano Heatsink Fan(currently going up to 52 Degrees max)
Radeon 9800 Pro 128 GC
Soundblaster Live 5.1 SC.

I am a completely Newbie at this so forgive any stupidness on my part as it comes naturally to me. ;)

As far as i am aware my system is running at a FSB of 166.
The CPU/FSB Ratio is 11x166 giving me 1.83Ghz.
The Ram is running at 333 though they are capable of 400.

Now i believe to get the DDR at 400 i have to have my second multiplier at 200 rather than 166.
So i could have 10x200 for 2ghz or 11x200 for 2.2ghz.
Is this correct?

If any of this is bull guys let me know?

So my questions are.

1) Is my above statement correct?
2) How high can my cheap go generally?
3) Whats the average Temperature for my chip to fry?
4) What Voltage do i change?
5 And anyone got any instructions what to do?

All advise appreciated!!!

Thanx in advance.

Your temps are on the high side for overclocking. I'd suggest upgrading your cooling to a Thermalright SK7 if you really want to overclock. Every single statement of yours is correct. You do need to run your memory at 400mhz. Change the external clock to 200mhz and set the CPU/FSB ratio to 6/6. You will probably need to drop the multiplier, because it doesn't appear that your cooling is up to the task of much more. Which Volcano is it?

The most important voltage of all is the core voltage. You increase this to add more power to the core to stabilize a higher processor overclock. The memory voltage and chipset voltage should be increased to stabilize higher front side bus overclocks. Only change these as necessary. Your processor will be unstable far, far, far before frying. If your system is running stable, there is no danger to the processor, regardless of what temp you're at. Here's a guide that should help you. Good luck!

First try at 10x200 with 1.7v (then you 'll have problems with the temps. they seem very high at stock voltage)
then rise the multi to 11. Run Prime95 for a few hours. then try pushng the FSB to 210, then to 215. If you can run 10x215 it's good. After that see how far you can go with the multi. Don't use more than 1.8v because you 'll get very high temps (the CPU 'll burn after 80*C)

Edit: And also collect some bucks for watercooling
Damn, Gautam you were faster ;)

Had a problem.

Changed to 11x200
Never touched the Voltages as i wanted to see if ok.
When i rebooted it came up as

2200mhz great
Ram 400mhz great

However a black screen then appeared with a message
It said i was missing a file.

<windows>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

and to install it.

I changed back to the default 11x166 and pc booted fine.

Any ideas?

You need better cooling first, and after that add more voltage to the core.

Try going for 10x200 or even 9.5 x 200 first
I'm pretty sure that if it doesn't boot at 9.5x200 then it might be the RAM

Ok

10 x 200 works great.
And the core voltage does'nt need touched on that setting.
Got an extra 500 marks on 3DMARK2001. ;)

However 11 x 200 i have problems with.
With the default Core 1.65 Voltage i got the error so started to increase by 0.025 steps.
Computer would'nt start and i had to try and boot in safe mode.
Could only get a normal boot with 1.725.
However after windows started i had a black screen with my white mouse arrow.

Is that something to do with the other Voltages??

Last edited:
Try with disabled cpu interface. I told you that your temps are a bit unusual. 52*C for stock speeds are a lot! Have you used good amound of thermal compound. 11x220 with 1.8, cpu interface disabled, and temps about 45*C should be rock stable. Try to push the Vdd to 1.7v

Back