• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using Smart Fan 2 as calibrator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mmills

Registered
I'm installing a ThermalTake Smart Fan 2 on top my SLK 800A heatsink. I'm putting the thermister under the die, adjacent to the mobo temp diode.

There is a manual switch on the Smart Fan 2 that seems to set the temperature for 'overdrive' fan speeds. I could do some testing with this in an oven (for example) and determine the switching temperature fairly accurately. With this info, I could set the switch in a gauged dial.

Once replaced on the heatsink, with the termister mounted next to the mobo temp diode, I could get an independent temp reading from the fan going into 'overdrive' for matching the diode temp reading.

Make sense? Is there an easier way to calibrate the mobo temp diode? I guess an alternative might be to buy a temp sensor system with accurate readouts. I don't really know what such a thing might be, or how much it would cost.

mmills

Back