• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need more powerful case fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BeanTownBrawler

Right now my cpu (in the sig) runs between 45-50 c idle depending on if the ac is on. My system temps are usually in the mid 30's. Im thinkin there are 2 reasons for the high temps, either I have too much arctic silver on, or I need new case fans. I dont think its the heat sink because most people do fine with my heat sink. If I get more powerful case fans, will it make a difference in cpu temp as well?? also, how do I get off the heatsink? It was so tightly clipped on I almost broke the mobo trying to get it off to see if there is too much as3 (i put it all over the chip and I put some on the hs as well).

im betting thats too much arctic silver, follow the directions on thier website. the as should be as thin of a layer as possible. you should have only put it only the cpu, not the heatsink too. if case temps are around 30 its kinda high, but it depends on the room temp, i don't think you need better case fans.

Whats the room temp?
Is the AC doing a good job of keeping the room cool?
If it is then you possibly could have an air flow problem. 30c is a bit high for a nicely ACed room.

Do you have a Antec TP Psu? If you do are you useing the fan only connectors?

Try running your case with the sidepanel removed and a weak desk fan blowing on your motherboard. If that give much better temps, you have poor case airflow.

well, I just took the side off and my temps went from 31 c and 44 c to 28 c and 41 c in a couple minutes. I didnt try blowing a desk fan on, but I assume that would make it cooler. So what do I need to do now? Will new fans do the trick? (****es me off cuz I paid 30 bucks to get these 4 fans shipped and everything, and they are so quiet)

Where are the fans located? Mine got much cooler when I cut a hole in the side and put a 120mm fan blowing right down onto the CPU.

They are just in the front and back. I wouldnt know how to cut a hole and stick a fan there, seems kind of major.

use a dremel... and i think you should try the as before you get new fans.

Just to get this out of the way, do you guys suggest I do all this, or are my temps fine? Im not intending to oc anymore anyway.

Back