• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Homebuilt Heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigggwilly

Registered
Hello,

Some of you may have followed my other threads about my epic journey of me trying to make a heatsink. You were also probably wondering exactly what it looked like. Well here are some pictures for the benifiet of those people, but anyone else with questions or comments please chime in...

but before you do, please read these threads because it covers much of the "performace" aspects:
Is this a possibility?
When something works, don't touch it!

Here are a few pictures of it sitting alone. You can see the CD in the background for a size comparison.
0.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Here is a picture of my oversized powersupply fan which I installed which would also blow air across the CPU heatsink. It would turn at low RPMs and still blow enough air because it is so big. I also removed the back fan and the grill from the powersupply for less air resistance.

2.jpg

This is the LED display that displays the (main) fan speed setting that the potentiometer (not visible) controls. It was working, but I think i screwed something up, so now only the controler works, and not the display. It can either do a line (from the bottom up) or just one LED lit to show how fast the fan is spinning.

1.jpg

Thats all for now, but if you have any questions, please ask. I'll be gone for a few days, so I might not be able to respond right away. (depends if i'm near a comp)

Thanks for you intrest!
Will

Last edited:
DIY Zalman??

Cool... but I think you need to make the base flatter, or am I decieved by the pics?

Pity that some fins had to be wasted for the clip though..
Couldn't you route the clip the other way and drill a hole through all fins? (make a totally new clip that is..)

Well... I have thought about the same idea, but I guess It'll never be as god as the Zalman if I did it.

What material is the fins made of? Alu?

The bottom is quite flat, it just look crappy. My camera is being funky so I can't get too close. I had a mirror finish on it, but its not too nice anymore.

Its made out of aluminum sheet, it came in a role 6" tall by 10' long, and I used the whole thing. It was about $5 at home depot, in the roofing dept.

Read the first post.... There are some links there...

"For the love of GOD, DONT GO GHETTO"

Meh, whats wrong with going ghetto? Who else is going to see my computer? I just wanted it to be quiet. Its not like I show it to people; you guys just wanted to see it. I'll start making it look pretty if I ever needed to market it. :D

Last edited:
Oh, okay. In the original post, it said that the big fan "would also blow air across the CPU heatsink." I guess I thought you meant that air from the PSU (which generates quite a bit of heat) is being blown onto the heatsink.

Sounds like a good idea, but I'd have some extra case fans on hand just in case ;). I'm a worry wart!

Back