• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Improving airflow in Lian-Li PC-6x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZaP37

Finally - I've been meaning to do this mod for months. It took my CPU load temp down 10°C (52 to 42) and case temp down 13°C (36 to 23). I was running pretty hot because I have six HDs, a GF4 4600, and a 2500+ at 1.9v crammed inside my case (which is small to begin with).

Exterior: I had to have this side facing down while cutting, most of the scorching is on this side

Interior: not that bad for my first time using a plasma cutter...

Fans: 125 CFM Panaflos

All finished.

My advice: don't use a plasma cutter, the sidepanel is too thin. Also, don't put the holes exactly where I did, move them towards the front of the case about a half inch (otherwise the sidepanel fan hits the motherboard tray fan when you try to put it on, forcing you to move the motherboard tray out an inch while you slide the sidepanel forward into place).

Right now I have both fans as intakes, but I'll try experimenting with 1 exhaust 1 intake and 2 exhaust. What do you guys think is best?

Front/Side - Intake
Back/Top - Exhaust

And if you really want to increase airflow cut out the front vents, they restict a lot of air. Then replace them with mesh grills to keep the dust out. Plus it would look good.

CGR said:
Front/Side - Intake
Back/Top - Exhaust

Yes I've found that this works best.

And if you really want to increase airflow cut out the front vents, they restict a lot of air. Then replace them with mesh grills to keep the dust out. Plus it would look good.

In my case I think that it wouldn't be very beneficial; I have a wall of 5 HDs right behind the two front intake fans. :(

Actually it might help you more than you think. The more unrestricted air the fans can pull in the more will get past your HD wall hehe..

I need to put a 120mm blowhole in and a 120mm intake duct on the side of my case, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. 10C is a really big difference. I hope I can get that big of a difference. I will probably go with the 30 dba, 94 cfm Enermax 120mm fans, I have to keep all of my fans at 30 dba or lower.

Back