• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Delay...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mito

Right after WinXP loads itself, it takes some 15 seconds to load any program whose icon I just clicked. It seems to be working on something, even though there aren't heavy processes running. (I've checked Task Manager and CPU idle at 99%)....

These are my specs:
win xp pro
detonators 43.45
nforce 2.45 drivers
dx 9.0b
a7n8x deluxe rev2.0 (bios 1003)
2x512 pc2700
athlon xp2600 fsb333
geforce 4 ti4200
samsumg 40gb 7200rpm (primary master)
lg 52x cdrom (secondary slave)
creative 12x10x32x (secondary master)
aha 2940au & ibm 2gb scsi disk

Everything else works fine. I just can't find out why Windows takes so long to load any program right after it loads itself.

Hints:

1. In Device Manager the USB Controller appears as a Question Mark. But USB is working fine, I've got an USB mouse and webcam. I also installed that usb hotfix that comes with the asus nforce CD.

2. I didn't install SP1.

3. SATA disabled on mb.

Comments are very welcomed.

I had similar problems when I first got DSL, the software took a few seconds to load after windows. Once I got my router, I didn't have to use the software anymore, loads fine now. Firewalls and antivirus programs can also slow down your boot times. You probably need to install the usb2.0 driver to get rid of the ? Anything else loading up in the systray?

Jim

weasel said:
I had similar problems when I first got DSL, the software took a few seconds to load after windows. Once I got my router, I didn't have to use the software anymore, loads fine now. Firewalls and antivirus programs can also slow down your boot times. You probably need to install the usb2.0 driver to get rid of the ? Anything else loading up in the systray?

Jim

Hi,

I also have an ADSL link and USR 9001 modem. I have no antivirus or any other software that loads at startup... Hummmm, perhaps Windows Messenger which is set to login automatically may be the cause of the problem.

If the ADSL is the culprit, why isn't the high utilization shown in Task Manager?

If your ADSL starts at start up, windows will load the software and log you in, basically connecting to the internet. It usually took 5-10 seconds on my computer, but now with the router, it's always on so it doesn't have to load during start up. Not even running a firewall? If not you should try zone alarm and it's free.

it might just be waiting a response from the network..

i dont know if this applies to XP but i noticed a speedier boot up in w2k after installing all the SPs..

weasel is right. the delay is from your computers lan searching for a new ip addy (unless you have a static ip, then this is bogus). the reason the routers get rid of this delay is that the raouter will constantly update its ip and assign any machines on its lan a static ip.

Back