• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this due to SATA Corruption??? - Help Required

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MetalStorm

(SYSTEM IN SIG)

I have had my drives in raid 0 for a little while (2 WD raptors using bios 17 ) and since I have had a couple BSODs (not your average win 95 please insert a disk style, but the real deadly ones...)

Anyway, the real problem I'm having at the moment is that when doing things in explorer it crashes, saying that it caused an illegal opperation and had to be closed... then it will keep doing this over and over (after its killed explorer it will come back and keep dieing). Sometimes it brings up an error saying that a command at 0x *randomnumbers* address tried to access 0xffffff - the memory could not be read, explorer will now be terminated.

And it will just keep going and going...

I managed to "fix" it for a while by deleting the local user registry, (or rather my brother did it...) but that got it working again, I have since done exactly what I was doing before - being just going through folders moving things around and explorer dies on me once again... and then again... you get the idea I think

Basically, is this due to my SATA drives - its running off them at the moment and this is the only problem I have experienced so far albeit twice in a day... or do you think its a problem with windows that can be fixed with a nice format and reinstall???

I really need some help!

If you know your rig always ran stable with that OC before installing the Raptors, I'd do a fresh install, at stock speeds, so if the problem came back you could better pinpoint whether it was possibly the RAID config or not. You could try updating the BIOS to 18 as well just for the hell of it.

On Abit's webpage they mention this:

Fixed SATA RAID-0 data corruption issue by adding a new option
"EXT-P2P's Discard Time" in "integrated Peripherals". The default
setting is "30 us" ; which is recommended by NVidia. In case the problem is still there, try "1 ms" please.

Try changing that bios option to see if it fixes your problem.

Okay, I have reformatted, and reinstalled win 2k, I installed it at stock settings with the 1ms discard time... We will see what happens

Back