• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seems Like AMD is repeating its past.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tebore

After reading the front article it seems like AMD is repeating the past.
For those of you that were in to computers when AMD released the K6-2. AMD was in a simlar situation at the time, they were about to risk it all on the Athlon. Take the Current AthlonXP it's the K6 and the new socket 754 AXP with SSE2 would be the K6-2, the "Paris" is going to be a K6-3. The real fine tuned 64 Bit chip will be like the Athlon with all the bugs worked out and all weak points removed. It seems like AMD is buying time while trying to keep customers and allow upgradablity by using the current athlon with the 754. AMD is going to be using existing designs with slight improvements to test it's scalablity and get the bugs out.

I hope AMD can pull another "Athlon" and soon.

I don't know, the athlon-64 seems like a bigger step to me. Moving to 64 bit seems long overdue, along with abandoning x86 instructions. . . but thats like switching all desktops to linux, would be nice, but impossible. The k6/2 was like the celeron, good, but not that good. The athlon definately brought AMD into the market, and the XP just made things better. Hopefully the athlon64 will just continue that pattern.

See the Athlon is like the Athlon 64 back in the day they promised alot of new innovation such as DDR. The Athlon 64 is just continuing the innovation. AMD also likes to test out their innovation on existing designs to find it's weak spots. AMD released 3DNow! thinking it would replace the FPU in most apps and games. And we all know it flopped so AMD took that Info and now look at the FPU in the Athlon.

as long as their's people like me around AMD will always have it's place in the market.

i refuse to pay more to a monopoly. or a company that thinks it has the right to act like one. as long as AMD stays on the more ethical side of things and still offers a competitive product my money will be going to them.

viva los AMD!
I am gunna get an A64 if it rocks :)...otherwise......I will stick with my sig till it does rock.....:D

Back