• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My buddies new system wont POST

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wardog50

My friend just put together his new stuf and is having some big problems.
He asked me to post this question because he has no access right now.

Anyway he has an Asus a7n8x an 1800xp and 2x256mb of mushkin RAM (pc3200) along with an old Maxtor harddrive.

When he got it put together it posted fine the first time and he browsed through the bios for 5 minutes or so and made some small changes.

He then shut down and rebooted to install windows but nothing.
The board has power, everything lights up. The green power on led on the mobo is on and there are no error beeps.

However the monitor does not respond and weve since cleared the BIOS and tried with and without everything plugged in.
tried all the jumpers at default etc.

Has anybody seen anything like this before.
We got in touch with Newegg and they pretty much walked him through what we already had done.

They did say that they would RMA it it but if thats not the problem alot of time and some cash will just be waisted.

Oh ya I also installed his video vard in my setup and that works fine.

thanx for your help.

Wardog

not sure

Im not sure what he changed I was only over the next day, to try to help.
He doesnt seem to be real sure what may have been changed either.
He did say that the prcessor temp was around 42c so that seems fine and since he said it was up for 5 minutes or so I think if i were a temp problem it would have died before then.
I jnow you didnt say anything about temp I just remembered and figured Id add it in.

He did say that he changed the boot sequence and enabled the keyboard wakeup via jumper setting. However we moved the jumper back to default and we cleard thi cmos three or four times last night alone.

The first time we moved the clear jumper and removed the battery. Then we lapped the heatsink which took us a solid 45 minutes or so. Then we went back and set the jumper back reinstalled the battery and well you know NOTHING.

Im not sure if we have any options left, other then an RMA but if the mobos ok and they just send it back then we will still need to find the problem and alot of time will have passed.
Do yoiu think that the processor could be bad even though the temp was low and it POSTed the first time?

Later

Wardog

Yes, your right its not a temp problem. He probably would not have been able to boot the first time without it failing.

I can only think of three possible things.

1. when he changed the jumpers on the board, he some how managed to short the board.

2. He is not clearing the CMOS right. (but it would have cleared any ways once the battery is removed). So therefore the bios is dead. This is very possible, as when he rebooted the computer, the bios was being resaved. Maybe he had his speeds set to aggressive and the bios changes did not save.

3. He does not have the video configured right, the cord is not plugged in, or maybe he has forgotten to turn the monitor on. :)

Of course those are unlikely (except the bios being dead) so I since all means of trial and error have failed I would just RMA the board.

Try the power supply. Mine went bad while overclocking(dont ask)the board lights would light up but wouldnt post. Luckily I had an extra and it solved the prolem.

Back