• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this normal for SLK-900?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UjinR

Registered
I'm currently overclocking my 1700+ juhib dut3c,and at the moment I'm at 210*9,5=2000 @1.65V.
After about 10hrs of prime The temp is 47C.
As said I have an SLK-900 with a Tt SF2(running at max RPM),
two case fans and my PSU has a fan at the bottom.
I used the thrmal grease that came with SLK.
I'm from Greece so it's pretty hot in my room (30-31C).
Isn't my temp high for an SLK?

Your temps sound about right considering that you're using the thermal compound that came with the SLK and the fact that your ambient temperature is 30-31C. However, just to be sure, you may want to take off your HS, reapply themal compound, and put the HS back. 2 factors that can cause increased temps are incorrect thermal compound application and the HS not seating on the CPU core properly. Speaking of which, are you sure there's nothing keeping your HS from seating properly on the CPU? If you have the SLK-900U, you can check here:
http://www.thermalright.com/faq_900_Motherboard.html
to see if your motherboard was tested and compatible. You might need to bend the capacitors near the socket to get the SLK-900U to fit.

I have 8RDA3+ and the HS fits on it.
About proper sitting I think that one of the standoffs isnt tight that well on the X-plate and the sping-loaded screws aren't exactly vertical.
About the thermal compound I just covered the CPU die.
Am I going to see any significant temp fall using Arctic Silver 3?
And something else the chipset temp is 43CIs that ok?
By the way my cpu temp is now 50C.

I opened my case and the temp fell after 5 minutes to 45C!
Why?
I thought that it is better to have the air flowing with fans in a closed case than just to leave the case open.

well when your case is open there barely is an airflow, simply put it the cpu fan expells all heat striaght out of the case, the airflow might not be sufficent, sorry sp, on the intake to cool it down.

This means you gota improve on your air circulation inside you case. You can try the smoke test your PC to see where the hot spots are. That might help you. Im not sure whether that was a thread or somewhere i read in this website. But im sure its around here

You dont necesarily have bad circulation. Almost any machine will run cooler with the side panel or cover off. However your temps are a bit high for that HS. Could be as suggested you may not have enough intake or exaust or both.

Let it run for a while then take the cover off and see how warm it is inside the case. If its warm to your hand then you probally dont have enough exhaust.

Also get yourself some Arctic Silver 3

www.arcticsilver.com

If you do get some AS make sure you follow the application instructions as they make a world of difference.

If the Case fans are 2 80mm and are low flow (or anything short of 50 CFM apiece) There is a very good chance you have insuffiecient airflow. You can try the smoke test as said. I personally Use 120MM fans in my cases (quiet and good air flow) (I build mine myself) but a few good cases that use 120mm fans are:

Antec SLK3700AMB (hear its good)
Blizzard 360 from www.frozencpu.com (own one personally, use for main rig)
Lite-On FS020 (I use for water cooling, dont know about air)

hope you can find these in Greece, I think frozencpu ships world wide.

AMD_Me said:
If the Case fans are 2 80mm and are low flow (or anything short of 50 CFM apiece) There is a very good chance you have insuffiecient airflow.

i disagree. i could never recommend someone using 50CFM 80mm fans. that's a rattle trap. with small fans it's better to use them in pairs. 1 60CFM 80mm fan will sound like a hair dryer. but 2 33 CFM 80mm fans will barely be noticeable (assuming 28Dba 33cfm fans your Dba with 2 fans would be around 31Dba) don't go out and buy high speed fans because you think you need it. by a bunch of cheap quiet fans and use them in pairs. or buy large low speed fans. instead of using multiple 80mm fans for intake i use a single 120mm vantec stealth. it puts 53CFM in the case and since it's alot larger it suits a larger case becuase it can over come the larger amount of pressure in my larger then average case.

Originally posted by AMD_Me I personally Use 120MM fans in my cases (quiet and good air flow) (I build mine myself) but a few good cases that use 120mm fans are:

Antec SLK3700AMB (hear its good)
Blizzard 360 from www.frozencpu.com (own one personally, use for main rig)
Lite-On FS020 (I use for water cooling, dont know about air)

hope you can find these in Greece, I think frozencpu ships world wide. [/B]

i agree you should most def go to 120mm fans. you may have to mod your current case or another case you buy but honestly it's not as daunting as it sounds. you can use a CD to outline where you cut the hole then use a 120mm fan grill to mark your screw holes. drill those out and your done. i modded my chieftec to take my 120 in the front. it's alum. so it was easy work. used the dremel to drill the rivets out of the bottom HDD tray and it fell right out. then made my cut with the cut off wheel.

if anyone reading has any questions drop me a PM and i'll hook you up with better info.

if you add some of these fans and switch your thermal paste to some arctic alumina, ceramique, Arctic silver 3 or that new stuff from nanotherm you'll be set ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys!
I have a 90mm fan in front which delivers ~ 55CFM
and the one at the bottom of the PSU is the same.
The other fan in the back is a 80mm one ~33 CFM.
Assuming that I keep this ones, where exactly on the case sould I make holes to mount extra fans?My case is midi one and there is no more room in the front or back.
Now this is an idea a friend of mine gave to me:
He said that I should make a hole right above the cpu fan and mount a tube like the one they use in subwoofers so that the cpu fan can draw fresh air from there and so to be independant of the airflow in the case.
What do you think?

your friend's idea is what we call making a duct. it's a good idea but if you have good airflow through the case it's not needed.

i would recomend more exhaust. try making a "blow hole". a blow hole is a hole on the the top panel or somewhere on the top of the case that blows air outwards. since hot air rises hot air tends to collect at the top. having this type of fan will help releive the case of this hot air.

you said you have a smaller case so heat issues are going to arise because of the size of the case. i'd say you'd probably be best to go with the blowhole AND making the duct your friend suggested. that way you can get fresh air onto the CPU and releive any hot air in the case that would be created from other parts in the case(graphics cards and some motherboards will get very hot).

It is slightly better or slightly worse depending on who you talk to. Ceramique is not conductive and is cheaper, ceramique for me.

You can also go with Nanotherm's PCM+. I hear it has quite a bit of a performance increase over AS's products.

Back