• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TBird 1100 Palomino cooling problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celeron_Phreak

Hey all! I just got my Athlon 1100 TBird Palomino the other day ago, and have been playing with cooling. I had it idling at 55°C the first day, and that was probably cause I put too much AS3 on it, but I didn't play with that. Then AMD Phreak told me to use Arctic Ceramique, so I did, and applied it real thin, but enough for good real contact. That got my idleing temps down to 49°C.

My question is, why is it that everyone I know that has a TBird has temps in the very low 40s when overclocking, or mid 30s when running stock speed? Is the swiftech I'm using too much for it? Should I try using a smaller heatsink?

I ran the thing with the side case removed and the power supply out of the way of the CPU fan and it idled at 48°C. So it can't be my case airflow. It's got a nice fast well cooling fan in it. AMD Phreak uses the same cooler and fan combo on his CPU while overclocking and he idles at 43°C! I was always told that Palominos run cooler than traditional TBirds....

~C.P.

First of all there's no such thing as a Tbird Palomino, its either Tbird or Palomino. install and run the program that is in my sig (red link) it will tell you what CPU you have.

Are you saying that your PSU is hanging over the CPU fan? If that so that is propably why you have heat problems. Also Idle temps don't tell much about cooling issues, you have to put the chip under some stress. Get Prime95 install it, go to Options and Torture Test. let it run for about 30 mins and then check your temprature.

If it is a Tbird which it propably is, then you have to understand that they ran pretty hot. I think the you're reffering to the TBreds that people have now, and its a different chip, it is an AthlonXP fabricated with 0.13µm technology, which allows the chips to run much cooler and faster, while the Tbirds and Palominos used the 0.18µm fabrication.

I dunno if ur app is idetifying my Athlon on a TBird or not. Considering it read my CPU speed as 6GHz =P.

My temps could be high considering that my voltage is at 1.85 by default. And even after I change it down to 1.75, MBM5 still sees it as 1.85.

~C.P.

hmm, that's a first, could I have a screen shot of that?

Well reading the CPU type is totally different and shouldn't be wrong as I tested it on every AMD CPU out there

Here's the screenshot you asked for:

screenshot.JPG

LMAO... Thanks man.
Well I do admit that something is really screwed up there but that is a Tbird for sure. Its not AthlonXP. Its a Thunderbird.

Tbirds requiere good cooler and fan and depeding on their stepping might OC even to 1.5-1.6GHz. For example my AXIA '9' only did 1413Mhz @ 1.85v while my 1400 AYHJA 'Y' does 1630 @ 1.8v. If only my PSU could give it enough juice I bet it could even do 1.7GHz...

I knew it was TBird from the start by looking at the model number. It's A1100 something something =P. Anyhow, I reapplied Arctic Ceramique and Silver a few times to get it REAL REAL thin. I got it good with AS3, and my idle temps are down to 43 degrees C idling! I'm feeling pretty good about that now. Thanks for all your help.

~C.P.

My 1000 tbird runs @ about 39° load with some crappy titan cooler in some poorly ventilated case. Runs like crap too, and doesn't overclock on the crappy ECS mobo. Does the job for mother running word, so who cares.

Your mobo might be just overvolting, the chip's default vcore is 1.75. If that's the case the mobo sets the CPU voltage to that value, if the board has overvolting problems that's not an issue w/ the CPU. Try giving it 1.65 or 1.6 and see if things change

I already tried bring it down to 1.70 and it wouldn't even POST. So I dunno. MBM5 shows that it hasn't even changed after I step down to 1.75. I don't get it.

You didn't step down, when you ran at default, the mobo used same voltage setting as it used when you selected 1.75. Try to select 1.8 or 1.85 just to see what vcore MBM5 shows you

Back