• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need to MAKE an adhesive Thermal paste.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

heilel

Registered
I have Arctic silver 3 thermal paste.
But since I've been overclocking, my sound is making crackling noises in games sometimes.
I've since found my Southbridge needs a heatsink.

OK, fine.
So I have a nice little heatsink and a little fan to put on it and now I need to glue the heatsink onto the SB.

I've been looking everywhere for Adhesive paste and noone has it.

So I've been thinking of mixing some glue with my Thermal paste and using that.

Is it safe to do that?

What sort/brand glue should I use?

Arctic Silver has a AS-glue readily made.

I think that you can (for this non-critical) purpose mix some ordinary epoxi-glue and any AS TIM product.

As I've read, if you have AS glue and make a 50% / 50% mix, it will bond very hard, so some ppl shift the mix to 30% epoxi and 70% AS.

I haven't heard any catastophic reports about mixing your own glue TIM, so my guess is that it worx.
Make a small batch and glue something together(preferably two peices of metal), just to see if it sticks good. Also try to heat the stuff, if it pops off while it's warm. If the glue joint passes that test, try it on your MB.

-OR-

Do as I did last time: Seat the heatsink with AS or whatever, glue heatsink to the motherboard with hot-glue. It's safe, unless the heatsink gets above 60-80C. I did it in '98 to my old BX board and it's still there today to tell it's story.

Last edited:
OK, I'll try the mixing glue with TP and see how it goes.. thanks :)

I've used whatever thermal compound mixed with epoxy. I'd say 1 part compound, 2 parts epoxy.

Put Some AS In the middle and some crazy glue/ silicon adhesive on the side (I use crazy glue myself, I have heard people doing it with the silicon.)

Yeah, as suggested, I put some Arctic silver 3 paste on the SB and left the corners bare and put some superglue on the corners.

Then played a couple of games for an hour or two and the sound was perfect.

Worked a treat..:)

Thanks , :)

Last edited:
I think i'd wait and find some arctic alumina adhesive. They sell it at svc.com and i think they have it in stock now.

I tried doing the epoxy and as3 and it didn't work too well. I made sure to mix it 1:1. Every time i'd knock one of the things i glued down they'd come off.

Ya get what ya pay for IMO.

ArE_eYe_SeE_kAy said:

I tried doing the epoxy and as3 and it didn't work too well. I made sure to mix it 1:1. Every time i'd knock one of the things i glued down they'd come off.

Well, I didn't mix the AS with glue, just put AS on all the SB except a bit at the corners and then put glue on the corners.
I tested it later and it's solid as a rock.

However, to be sure, I'll check it again in a few days.

Back