• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who is over 300FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrspec3

If you have your board p4p800 or p4c800 running at over 300Mhz FSB please tell me what you did to get it to run properly. Mine is 100% stable at 300 but at 301 the system will take 5 minutes to boot up and then be really slow. I know the trick where you raise yor AGP/PCI speed but the p4p800 bios only lets you do 66, 72 or 80Mhz.

Any ideas?

You probably need to make a turbo PLL from a section of an old motherboard. There is a guy named Macci that wrote up a small tutorial on how to make and use one on a different website for an older motherboard. Do some googling for turbo PLL as this tool should enable you to select different FSB's. I believe the mod also involves using different speed clock generator crystals in conjunction with the turbo PLL. This type of mod is for the extreme overclocker who doesn't mind soldering things to the motherboard.:)

Test your board chipset with Prime95 and with 3DMark2001SE and then you can say it is stable. Each for few hours at least.

When somebody says I have it stable at x and at x+1 breaks down, I say try a real torture test and you might find out it is not stable at 280, 270 or even lower.

Thanks man I'm not a knewb :p

3dmark 2k3 is better because it also has the cpu tests.

I have figure out the problem. When you set a pci bus speed of anything over 33 the S-ATA chip dies out. This also happens when you go over 300 fsb because that seems to be the place where the dividers fail. Trick now is to get my ide drive formatted and go nuts again :D

Have fun mrspec. I would like to know what is the highest you reach. May get one.

Well it was most definatly the sata drive that was stopping me

6659.jpg

Now I think my chipset need some more voltage and a pelt which I will do later today if I can.

So the trick is don't use s-ata. Then boot into windows at 300 and use set fsb to first increse the pci speed to lets say 70mhz then go wild with the fsb

Steve

Mac said:
wow dude, what kind of cooling?

GPU is cooled with an MCW 50-T and cpu with a MCW 5000-PT and the whole thing is running 4C chilled water

CPU temp at idle is around -35C and at load -11C

Steve

Holy S@#t

nice work, my IDE setup failed on the 35/70 i think my HD's got corrupted. Any thoughts ?

thanks o wise sage,
confused (all the time)

300 fsb scares me. I think my system would blow up. I got it up to 290 once and everything was freakin out. Good luck getting more fsb speed.

3dmark 2k3 is better because it also has the cpu tests.
Yes but many people do not have graphic cards for which this test would be meaningfull. 2001SE would do just fine for most.

You can easily run all sorts of tests, like in Sandra, while you cannot run Prime95. And if you cannot run Prime you do not have stable system.

IMO stable is in the eys of the system owner if it works for everything you want it to and never screws up thats stable if you have to depend on a program that computes numbers over and over to say if your stable or not then screw it cause how often in the normal use of your system fo you NEED it to computer prime numbers?

Blunt: You're only kidding yourself! I once thought like you do, thought I had a stable system for months, until all of a sudden something stoopid happens. Like Nero Burning ROM jumping back to the desktop (and keeps doing so every time I try) when converting a picture CD(!) So I was like WTF?! Turns out I also couldn't run Prime95 at that speed, had to back down some to run Prime95 stable, and tadaa: Nero converts pics as well! The moral here is that a stable OCed system is a system that simply runs EVERYTHING you throw at it. Everything and anything. Hell, if you're a part of the SETI or Folding community you could even be returning crappy WU results and not know about it...

yeah and ive seen systems run prime day and night but they run sisandra or 3Dmark ad boom it crashes. so all im saying is prime is not the end all in stability

Blunt said:
IMO stable is in the eys of the system owner if it works for everything you want it to and never screws up thats stable if you have to depend on a program that computes numbers over and over to say if your stable or not then screw it cause how often in the normal use of your system fo you NEED it to computer prime numbers?

I have to agree. I never run prime95 for the fun of it. Sure I will use it to test my computer but that's it.

So here is prime95 at 300Mhz fsb
300primed.jpg

I will grab you a 3dmark later too

Back