• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me steamline my BIOS for max OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGhengisKhan

BANNED TROLL -Per Silversinksam
so far all I've been able to get it to is what it says in my sig.

Chip is an XP2000+ RIRGA, on an FIC AN19C mobo (Via KT400 chipset), with 512 of quality PC3200 DDR (previous owner had it up to 8x210)
BIOS is VMA46

Here's some screenshots from my BIOS (most are at default settings in the pics, but not currently what they show here)

Here's my RAM timings:
DSC00063.jpg

Here's my VGA settings:
DSC00064.jpg

My Advanced Chipset features:
DSC00066.jpg

Voltages:
DSC00069.jpg

FSB/Muliplier settings:
DSC00068.jpg

CPU/PCI Bus Control:
DSC00065.jpg

Some of the items on the RAM timings page aren't listed at any of the links from the stickys.

Any help would be apreciated.

I'd test the performance with something like Sandra Mem Benchmark at Sync and Async - 133:200 isn't exactly in step so I'd try going for broke and unlocking your Tbred A to get 200FSBx9 or something

For the DRAM timings change the settings to "user define" from SPD and fiddle with the ones that turn from blue to white - lower each value in turn and test with memtest86 - www.memtest86.com. I haven't got a clue what the settings lower down that menu are for o_0

This Tbred A came unlocked with all multi's up to 23 available, and as I stated in my orriginal post,
so far all I've been able to get it to is what it says in my sig
which is 164x12 no matter how low I take the multiplier I cannot get it to go above 164, as soon as I type in 166 as the FSB, the DRAM Type only has DDR333 and [By SPD] available, instead of what it shows at 164, which is [By SPD], DDR266, DDR333, and DDR400. and since I'm using PC3200 (which is DDR400) I don't want to lower it to DDR333, or am I wrong in thinking this? should I lower it to DDR333? Because when I try this, my POST screen shows the RAM type as PC2700, and with DDR266 it shows up as PC2100.

I have a Via KT333 Chipset, and they are evil. By SPD = DDR400 in your case, so you haven't lost the capacity for it at 333FSB.

The reason that you should lower it is because performance is much better when the CPU and DRAM clocks are synchronised, IE 166 MHz for both. I think it is really odd that you cannot get 166FSB with any multiplier. DDR 333 = PC2700 which is underclocking your memory, but running more synchronously. I think you will get better performance with that, but I really think the FSB should reach 166. It may be worse with 164/166 than 164/200 but you could test both.

holy cow, 2.05 vcore, 1.9vdimm @ spec, BACK DOWN!

(I got the 2.05 vcore from your sig, correct me if this is not the case anymore)

it's the case currently, just because I'm running my burn-in process. I'll be lowering it back down afterwards. (I try to keep my sig as up-to-date as possible.

Hello All, I'd just add that 64mb is plenty for AGP aperture, 128mb is over-kill. If you want a good in-depth tutorial on BIOS settings check out Adrians Rojakpot BIOS Optimization Guide, its the most comprehensive listing that I know of.
Regards, Balrog

http://www.rojakpot.com/

Hello All, Thats not my understanding T.G.K.

"Now, while increasing the AGP aperture size beyond 128MB won't take up system RAM, it would still be best to keep the aperture size in the 64MB-128MB range so that the GART (Graphics Address Relocation Table) won't become too big. As the amount of local memory on graphics cards increases and texture compression becomes commonplace, there's less of a need for the AGP aperture size to grow beyond 64MB. Therefore, it is recommended that you set the AGP Aperture Size to 64MB or at most, 128MB." Courtesy of www.rojakpot.com

Looks like you could go either way, I run all my rigs with 64mb apertures, but thats me. Try running 3DMark or some other benchies both ways and see what you find.

Regards, Balrog

Back