• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sorting out the AMD K8 mess o' chips

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ruiner

Jeezus the info/rumors/press releases are confusing.
Scanning Ed's pages and links from Xbit, this is what I can come up with. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

There is the Hammer/k8 core that everything will be based on. It's biggest plus is the integrated memory controller.

Opteron (full fledged) will be socket 940, SMP capable, have 512-1MB of L2, x86-64 and dual-channel DDR

Opteron socket 939, same as above but w/o SMP (correct??)

Athlon64 XP: (the opteron that isn't one) socket 940, 1mb of L2, x86-64, and dual channel

Athlon64: socket 754, 512 or 1mb of L2, x86-64, single channel

new AthlonXP: socket 754 (K8 core), 256 of L2, single channel, and no x86-64.

I'm sitting on my hands for a year. This is just plain f'ed.

i know thats what im doing for intel too...getting 2.4c and then waiting untill something worth my time comes....you are exactly right this next year is going to be F'dup

good thing i race too (radio control cars and trucks, hence the name) or i'd go insane

~RCTG

Yeah, for us low budget overclockers, the next year is gonna suck! The new chips proabably won't overclock too well if at all like the palomino cores did. Plus they are going to cost a fortune. Way too much to buy and then blow up while trying to o/c it too far. I guess eventually we will be getting $50 3.2C's and $50 3200+ with nice overclockability. Then maybe we will have something to do with our spare time.

Back