• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Acitve cooling on 8rda+ NB, noob question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helgaiden

I was just wondering if just simply attaching a small fan to the NB heatsink on the 8rda+ would be considered "good active cooling".

any comments?

Well, it's better than no fan. You should replace the thermal gum at least too.

cool, im most likely gonna be removing the fan that comes with the CPU and slapping it on the heatsink then. That would work pretty nicely, eh?

Depends on the entire cooling situation.You do need to remove the gum pad on the nb heatsink.I don't beleive there is such a thing as overkill when it comes to mb cooling.I have an 80 mm on an sk7 that overhangs the bottom of the hs about an inch,an old p3 fan on the northbridge and heatsinks on the mosfets and southbribge.along with rounded cables there is nowhere on the mobo that can escape a strong current of air.

i dont want to deal with gum pad under the NB though, most of things i can do i consider risks because im still new to any form of modding and overclocking. Maybe i'll get someone else to remove it but i doubt he will.

anyways, thanks for the info.

Putting a fan on the stock NB sink got me from 200fsb to 229. Instead of using your old cpu heatsink, I would reccomend you get a 50mm fan, as it would fit better, and have a smaller deadspot. In fact, the deadspot should just cover the solid center of the heatsink.

meh, im already stretched for money so i have to improvise now. Any fan is better than no fan.

Back