• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a new prosessor...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fireflew

hey guys,
I have been out of the loop for alomost a year now so I am not confident in my decisions at this point, damn school being all time consuming and stuff =P, anyways I now have a 1600+, and i am looking to upgrade, planetside is pwning my poor computers framerate. I have about a hundred bux to spend and adequate cooling already, however my abit kx7 is version 1.0 so i cant use any barton cpus =(, and i dont want to pay for shipping to get that fixed over the next forever. In light of that what cpu would you guys reccomend for me to moderatly OC in my system that runs on a 266 fsb.(ambient temp in my apartment tends to run pretty high, so i cant oc too hard or my room becomes an oven)

I would very strongly suggest that you upgrade your motherboard as well, simple because the rest of your system is absolutely top notch. Even your XMS2700 is capable of over 200mhz. An Epox 8rda+ can be had for around $80, and a 1700+ DLT3C for around $60. This is just about the best mobo+cpu combo for AMD's. Your SLK900U is way way more than enough for just about any processor that you can throw at it.

You could, but your front side bus would heavily bottleneck your system. An even greater incentive is that your memory is already capable of >200mhz speeds.

perhaps it is worth the time to mod the board to version 1.1... i have heard it can be done at home if you dont feel like sending your board off to abit... course it may already be done i am just trusting sandra that the board is verison 1.0 =P

Why can't a v 1.0 run a barton? no 166MHz support? So? You can always up multi lower the FSB

from what i understand with the newest bios and some level 1 vridge cutting on the cpu it will work fine... but i am not toatlly sure still need to do more research...

Version 1.0 only supports AthlonXP processors at speeds below 2200+ and should be returned to ABIT for modification to support faster processors. Alternatively you can fix the problem yourself as described below. Version 1.1 and higher of the board supports all AthlonXP processors.

Gautam said:
I would very strongly suggest that you upgrade your motherboard as well

Heed this advice and if $'s prob, go $49 free shipping T-Bred B + ebay old stuff.

(imho)

The v1 couldn't run the T-Breds because it was a bug and you couldn't just get around it with a bios update, you needed a completely new board.

The 1700+ T-Bred Bs or 2500+ Bartons are two of the most popular choices. If you have cash, I'd go with the 2500+ Barton due to the cache.

according to abit the v1.0 board supposrt tbreds up to 2000+ if this is the case then I think I am sold on the 1700+. but if i get what you guys have been saying this is not the case. So what is the censesnus will the 1700+ tbred B run in this board?

Back