• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus A7N8X del & SATA not working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Terrorsmurf

Registered
I just bought 2 120 gig Seagate 7200.7 HD's and I have everything hooked up correctly and have the jumpers set right except I keep getting a DISK BOOT FAILURE error. I am trying to install the OS on the SATA drives fresh but I can't figure this out. I also just changed the boot from scsi in the bios and that didn't solve anything.

You'll need to boot to the CDROM, then after set up starts you'll have to press f6 to install the sata driver before win will install. If it won't boot to the cdrom then somethings wrong with your os disk. Any more info you can give us to help you out? Have you created your raid set? <-- page 92 of the manual.

The CD will boot on another system. The system tries to boot from cd. I tried creating the raid set, and deleteing it both trying to setup, no help...

Try pushing F6 when windows XP if thats what your using right when it first boots into the blue screen to set up raid controller then it will continue and ask for the controller( u must get this on a floppy u need to make this your self, just put the file on a floppy when u get it off the asus update) choose the SPECIFIC and then it will ask u to insert floppy in A drive..... Now u can choose to partician or what ever u want. Hope u have a spare computer to download the controller driver.lol good luck the instruction do not tell u much so i understand your frustrastion if ur not familiar with a RAID setup. ps keep it on BOOT from scsi

I found out the cd I had was bad so I got another XP cd and it works fine now. I installed the OS and the HD's in raid0 were working fine. I then installed a couple drivers for the mobo and found out I had to hook up my other IDE old 40 gig HD that had some drivers for my video card.

Hooked that up, went to boot up again and it gives me a "cannot find system32 file due to it not being there or corruption" and tells me to repair. put in the XP cd, go to repair and find out it is trying to run windows from the old HD. Unplug the old HD totally and try to run just the original SATA HD's in raid and it gives me the same error. Just tried to do a fresh install for the OS and its telling me I have no HD setup or it can't find it for some reason even though it sees the HD's at the F6 prompt in the raid setup.

Basically the SATA HD's in raid0 were working find until I tried to add another HD in slave mode. I'm at a loss of what to do now. I'm thinking just start all over again with the fresh install and the floppy SATA drivers at the beginning of setup.

Also my boot sequence is set to CD-ROM, SCSI, and disabled; in that order.

Heres my specs as well

AMD 2600xp+ @ 2.1ghz (stock)
A7N8X deluxe ver 2.0
2 x 256 pc2700 ram
Albatron Geforce 4 Ti4800 SE (stock)
2 x Seagate 120gig SATA 7200.7 8 mb cache

Back