• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to cool the mosfets?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

th3n3w5up3rh3r0

Registered
How can I attach a chopped up heatsink to my mosfets? I realized they were getting pretty hot. Is super glue fine to use? One last question: Is there something I should cool that I am forgetting? I have the NB, and CPU cooled, the SB will be cooled once I cut the heatsink and then the mosfets will be cooled soon hopefully. Thanks for your help.

Arctic Silver thermal epoxy will work the best, then you can also buy thermal tape, and finally super glue. I just use thermal tape because I've got quite a bit lying around that came with various stuff.

I chopped up an old PPro heatsink and used a 60/40 mixture of AS adhesive/AS3 to keep them on:

mosfet_mini.jpg

Works pretty nice, and I (should) be able to remove them if I choose. I actually popped one off by mistake after first install, then did it again because I think I used too little adhesive.

As far as other things to cool, depending on the mobo, there may be other voltage regulators or chips worth sinking. I'd use the 'finger test' after some heavy gaming or benching to see if any chips could use it.

MOSFETs are transistors. they do stuff with the power going to your motherboard and components. I have a vague idea of what they do, but I don't trust myself to explain it in depth to you.

PS, the best way to cool the MOSFETs, also, would be to lift them up, and attach the heatsink to the metal piece on the underneath. most of the MOSFET heat is transferred hrough here, not through the plastic casing...

here you go "metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor" (MOSFET)
When most people talking about cooling the "MOSFET(s)" they are referring to the transistors with-in the power regulation circuit
PS here is the ones I made out of an old PI passive cooled sink (I got 24 - 4 pin HSs out of the one)
31471161.jpg

Last edited:
Amorphus said:
MOSFETs are transistors. they do stuff with the power going to your motherboard and components. I have a vague idea of what they do, but I don't trust myself to explain it in depth to you.

PS, the best way to cool the MOSFETs, also, would be to lift them up, and attach the heatsink to the metal piece on the underneath. most of the MOSFET heat is transferred hrough here, not through the plastic casing...

True, but it's much easier to just heatsink the plastic part, and they don't have any cooling to begin with, so it's not like you need to heatsink them at all.

You only need to put heatsinks on if you are running a load of volts through your CPU - they are not totally efficient at regulating voltage and will heat up if your CPU is using a load of juice. They are typically little plastic squares with three legs on one side, the middle one is often cut off though. Coils of thick wire and large caps may also be found nearby.

Apparently it helps with stability but I doubt it - these things can run at about 125C anyway

Just for your knowledge....SVC is the probably the cheapest place to order the adhesive...the other website listed has a bunch of WAY OVERPRICED stuff. This is where you wanna shop at.

The thermal adhesive was defientely the way to go. You should have gotten the temp of the MOSFETs before and after. When will you have a Prometia cooling them? Just kidding.

Thank You,
Daniel

I am cheap and don't have a credit card so I use one dot, or maybe 2 to glue on HS's, and some thermal paste (on SB, RAM and soon mosfets) they do get hot so I know it works.

There is also a chip on the motherboard taht can be cooled, and when doing so often weilds a few more Mhz of FSB (assumign your motherboard is the problem not your RAM). Here is a link to a picture of it and its name, you will have to find it on your motherboard though. Not really sure how :/ If you ahve an NForce2 though you might check here: http://www.8rdafaq.com/news.php

I used a band-saw (could just use a hack saw with) and I finished the edges with an emery wheel on the old Dremel

Back