• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using glass as side panel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rickster

I heard somewhere that using glass as the side panel will increase heat. Is this true? If it is then tell me why? thanx

Mumbo jumbo! Pish Posh! Hooplah I say!

Blahblah, aluminum dissipates heat better than steel... blahblah. I've cut windows in more cases than I can remember and I've never once seen any difference in temperature. If it's true, it's only a MARGINAL difference... like... 0.05°C.

You aren't going to notice any difference, expecially if you have decent airflow. The only situation where that might actually make a noticable difference is in a comp with zero airflow. While the glass in your side panel will not dissipate the heat as fast as the aluminum/steel in other parts of your case, the cooling of your computer does not come from the dissipation through the case.

The only caveat I can see is an errant foot/book/child/pet running into the glass............. Not a pretty sight. Other than that go for it. Post pix. I am courious to see how it turns out :)

The only other disadvantage I can thing of is glass is not EM shielded, witch isnt a problem really but thought I would just point that out, incase it may be an issue for you.

Glass is an insulator and the steel is a conductor so it'll be able to dissipate heat much faster than glass will. Don't think that it'll send your temperatures through the roof. As someone mentioned, you'll only notice a small difference as long as you have adequate airflow.

The pros about having a window outweigh the cons by a lot. Like it looks cool, you can see when your fans crap out and act appropriately, You can see when your water block start peeing on your parts, you can see when its time to dust, its really neat and people will go wow!. :D

I have never noticed any difference in temps. I have roughly 2 intake fans and 3 exhaust fans.

I use plexi. I'd cut a finger off. Besides that plexi is cheaper, unless you're thinking glass because you have a piece laying around.

But heck, glass might be easier to clean. :)

i agree that the glass will not make any important difference in temperatures. If you're relying on the dissipation through your case itself, you've got other problems.
Glass is not transparrent to a majority of infra-red (heat-ish light) wavelengths, but plexiglass is (at least to a greater extent). Again however, this should not be your means of cooling!
I have cases with an inch and a half of foam (2+ inches in places), I run slow (silent-ish) fans, and I haven't cooked my machine. Believe me, I'm getting squat dissipation through my case walls. All those ads for "aluminum casses have 3 times the cooling of a steel case" are freakin' swindlin' sales pitches. Stagnant air is actually a kick-*** thermal insulator (despite being the medium of most all cooling), so you gotta keep that stuff movin' through and out O' da' case.

this is my recital, I think it's very vital...

while glass does insulate better then steal or alu, but it will radiate more heat then plexi.

the only proof i have of this, is my fish tanks, the all glass 55 gallon one, the temp differents between the thermometer in the water and on the glass is ~ 1c, were as the temp diff on the Plexi 55 gallon tank is closer to 7c.

just my 2 cents.

Whats EM shielding so bad about as a sie panel? Well i prefer glass because its easier to get and it looks more classy than those acrylic plastic stuff.

Back