• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unorthodox usage of Ceramique

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aaron Burton

So, for a slk-800u:

Do you think it would be beneficial to rub some ceramique onto the foam part on the black metal reinforcement plate? I realize the foam itself is a huge insulator, but every bit counts, right?

Right?

No, I don't think so, you could try it but I think the main reason that pad is there is to keep the metal of the back plate from touching the back of the mb circuits.

no. put the ceramique on the CPU core and on the CPU core only.

I have a fun story about this -

one time I was helping a friend put together two computers, for his dad's office. while we were at it, he mentioned that he got a heatsink for his dad's computer, to replace the original one. well, the heatsink performed worse than the original (he replaced a Volcano 7 (not +) with the CoolerMaster Alps (silent heatpipe) heatsink). but I digress.
anyways, when I took the Volcano off, I noticed that 1) he had used the white goop junk that came with the heatsink. 2) he had not removed the gummy thermal pad from the bottom of the heatsink. already bad signs. but the big kicker - he had put the white silicon goop ALL OVER the top of the CPU. this was a 2000+ Palomino. not only was there goop on the core, there was goop covering the ENTIREITY of the packaging. I spent a full 15 minutes cleaning it off, after laughing at him for about 20. :D

*edit* I just realized you were talking about the backplate. I didn't read it properly. but its still a fun story. :)

*edit2* and no, it would not be beneficial at all. the heat would be transferred to the ceramique, and then be trapped there, doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. :)

As everyone else has said, put it only on the core. While Ceramique isn't supposed to conduct much, putting it near the bridges or the motherboard probably isn't a good idea. It wouldn't help any, so don't risk it.

Its not supposed to conduct at all, its a 100% pure insulator according to arctic silver. Same with alumina.

Tyranos said:
Its not supposed to conduct at all, its a 100% pure insulator according to arctic silver. Same with alumina.

It conducts fine.

Just not electricity;)

I agree with everyone else, I don't think it would benefit much at all if any at all.

Ffats said:
I say go for it :D !!!

any reasoning? it will just possibly transfer heat to the "foam" (mine is rubber???) part... which can't dissipate it....

The rubber would transfer the heat to the X brace (not efficiently at all, but what the hell?).

Does the X-Brace touch the case? If it does, that could be pretty cool to use your case as a big heatsink...

I mean, its not going to decrease your temps more than a degree (if that!), but whatever. Worth a try. Ya never know.

you take the rubber off and coat it with ceramique and there you go you have a big black heatsink that with some work could contact the case. but den you would have a charge running though the hsf...

Cooling the darkside of the mobo will help to some degree.
JUST REMEMBER to put an electric insulator(MICA shim, or a slab of aluminium oxide) on the mobo tin pads and make sure that the backside is sort of flat at least, otherwize will the benefits be small.

I'm considering TECing the backside to induce cooling through the pins right into the core, though it could be that 95% of the cooling will rather go out through the MB circuit traces....

I suspect that the thermal transfer from mobo -> socketpins is quite good, but the transfer from socket pins to CPU pins is going to be quite lousy. Hmm.. filling the socket with thermal goop? anyone tried that? :)

Paxmax-

Sorry to be a complete noob, but can honestly say that I didn't understand most of your post. What's TECing? What are tin pads?

in other words, what exactly are you doing?

Ah.. ok I'll elaborate further.

TECing (not a standard term of expression.. yet) is the usage of a TEC = Thermo Electric Cooler, also known as a Peltier cooler.
It's a kind of heat pump. (There is lots to read about it here, just search for "pelt", "peltier", TEC is too short I think.)

In short it's a flat square, thin wafer that moves the heat from an object and ejects it on the cooler on the other side.
The object(cpu) is cooled by removing the heat.

On the backside of mobo I guess that there is a whole lot of soldering points, tin pads. If you are lucky, there isn't any pins or components that stick out from the MB under the socket. If there are pins or loads of components portruding on the back, I wouldn't try to cool it.

Those tin pads must never be shorted by a peice of metal(or anything else). If they are, MB and/or CPU + maybe PowerSupply go bye bye.

Those tightly packed solder points or tin pads(arranged like the socket on the other side) is what you'd be wanting to cool.

I have been tinking of cooling them, not actually done it, since I trying to figure wether it will be worth it or not.

Did that clear things up? no? yes? :)

Yes, thank you very much!

Although, I would think that those are the points you WOULDN'T want to cool, and here's my reasoning:

While the heat conductive tin soldering spots may get warm, the insulatory PCB is what's keeping it that way. the PCB gets mighty hot on the flipside of the socket, and I would imagine that any way you might be able to cool that off would in turn cool off the socket. Any thoughts?

dont do it, its not worth it at all.

it doesnt conduct electricity, but it may have enough capacitence to hurt something in the future...

why do you people use ceramique anyway, it SUCKS! my temps were 5-7 degrees MORE with ceramique over AS3

If you look at the directions on the AS3 website, it says just put a dab onto the core, and put the hsf on without spreading it at all. I tried both methods, and surprisingly enough, when I did it their way, my temps dropped 2 degrees celcius.

Back