• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help tunig 8rda +

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

number3

help tuning 8rda +

Can anyone coach me on fine tuning my 8rda +.currently at fsb 185 x11.5 .mem freq is at auto would like to get close to 200 fsb.

Take off FSB jumper
put memory on 100%
put agp speed on 66mhz
put memory timings on 2.5-3-3-7
put memory voltage at 2.9v
put cpu interface on "Aggressive"
do NOT use 3716 bios(newest one).. i prefer 3507
Disable gameport/serial ports.. or anything that you are not using
Turn off cpu thermal throttling and all the crap like that
If you feel like reformating turn APIC off and reformat and you may get higher FSB at a likely cost of lower performance in 3d
That's all i can think off that you should do in bios... heres some hard mods..
Better Northbridge cooling
Southbridge cooling
Mosfet/Vreg cooling
Lap the Northbridge
Vdd mod
Vdimm mod

Ok I've got it runnin stable at 195 fsb .I have not set or touched fsb jumper and upped i believe its the dimm voltage.Will these options keep me from achieving 200 fsb cause when i get above 198 fsb pc is unstable.

Yeah, you can probably get higher if you up the Vdimm and take off the FSB jumper that is by the heatsink on the NB.

I think the best thing to do is get an old 50mm fan, and zip tie it onto the stock NB heatsink. It will do wonders, I promise. I also put some heatsinks onto the mofsets and SB with thermal epoxy, but can't prove that it helped. The NB fan is a sure thing.

cooling the mosfets will mostly help with cpu overclocking by allowing a higher vcore. Not saying it wont help you, but its main benefit is to CPU overclocks.

What do you attach the zip tie to if you want to install a fan on the NB?

gulp35 said:
What do you attach the zip tie to if you want to install a fan on the NB?

Feed them under the little arms that come off the sink, that hold the sink to the holes on the mobo. then feed them through the screw holes on the fan. You need to use small ones of course, and mine weren't long enough, so I had to use two of them together on each side. (I fed the strap of one zip tie into the hole in the other, extending the length)

The NB HSF is pretty easy to remove. Pull out the spring clips and twist. Scrape off that pink gummy stuff and read the code on it. Then lap, use Arctic Alumina or another ceramic-based paste, and maybe 2 tiny drops of superglue, and put the hetsink back on. I slapped a 50mm fan on the top with just a dab of silicone.

The SB, likewise can use an old video card HSF because there are holes from the spring clips.

I used some cheapo radio shack aluminum heatsinks (about the right size for video card ram (old kind, not BGA) on the mosfets, then siliconed a couple of thick 40mm fans on top of the rows of transistors.

For all this, my best stick of ram still tops out at 198 FSB with aggressive timings, no matter what board its in....

the way i attached a fan to my stock northbridge heatsink was with a drop or two of superglue in the center. Fan hub to heatsink.

Well take off the fsb jumper like q149 said dont put any fan on the on fan1 put the mem on the slot closest to the cpu, put a 40mm fan on the nb. and thats all.
I have mine at 205 on 100% mem w/ agressive times, I cant go higer because I have a crappy volcano 8 and my processor temps are like 58ºc full!!!!!!

Back