• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4P800 and RAID Array

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zuzzz

Premium Member
I have My 2 drives setup and win xp installed. it works fine. BUT . . . I have to boot from a non RAID drive then it points over the the RAID array. Is there a way around this? Im not using SATA drives just regular IDE/100 drives. . they work fine too and the numbers show the RAID is working fine. After the set up I noticed some 'key' files were on the C: drive. ok the config is this

1 40 gig
1 60 gig
1 80 gig
1 IDE CDRW drive
these 4 are single udma 100 drives on IDE channels 1 and 2.

I then popped 2 identical 20 gig drives on the the 6416 RAID controller(Relaoded winXP of course with all the proper drivers). but if i disable the 'other' ide channels it will not boot. Screams for the 'C:' drive. After further inspection it seems some key boot files are loaded on the regular ide ports. Can I make this so the RAID array is not dependant on the old "c:' drive? Im new to RAID arrays and how they work so forgive the redundancy in my questions

You need to change the drive ordering in the bios so your raid array is considered the "C" drive then reinstall windows so it uses the raid array as the active boot partition. Windoz will always put its boot loader on the C drive - whatever the bios is making the OS see as the C drive.

so I should say diconnect all the other drives so the RAID array is forced to be seen as "C:"? I'll try that

No that won't help - it's a bios setting that determines the order your devices are listed.

TC. . .
I found the required setting. . thanks a huge. I didnt realize there was 2 sets of boot set up menus in the BIOS. . problem solved. . thanks again

Back