• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU temp lower then MB temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deific

Registered
I had a A7N8X ver 1.0. My CPU temp was super high like 59c and mobo temp was 50c or so. Never had a problem or anything so I just used the comp as it was.

Now i have a A7N8Xver 2.0 and CPU temp is 35C and mobo temp is 43c. Anyways I was just wondering how common is it for the CPU temp to be that much lower then the mobo temp. I see it once in awhile but not that often and when I do see it it's like 2c or 3c lower.

Not complaning but just curious if you guys see this happening much.

I have a GA-7VAX-A mobo with a mildly oc'd 2200 tbred b in there. My cpu temps are 2 C lower than my mobo temps.

With air cooling it does not happen often at all. This because the air entering the case is of uniform, to some degree, temp. Therefore it means that the air reaching the CPU would if anything be hotter than the air before it because you harddrive, cd-rom, etc. slightly heat the air up. But with water cooling it is not uncommon to see the CPU temp at a few degrees below the case temp. because of the greater cooling capacity of the water cooling and also because you have the chipset, video card, RAM, etc. to heat up the air ever so slightly.

Thank You,
Daniel

like daniel said are you using air cooling? if yes then i think something is wrong...and if your mobo temps are 43 degrees C i think you need some better air circulation

I see you are using an Asus A7N8X. Are you getting the temps from Asus PCProbe? If so, it is very common for the MB and CPU temps to display reversed. Make sure you have the latest Bios and latest Asus PCProbe installed. Sometimes even this doesn't work for some reason. To view the 'correct' temps and to confirm if this is the case, check them in the bios when you boot. My guess is you will see that your CPU is in fact the hotter temp. I have two A7N8X boards and my wifes PC (A7N8X ver. 1.x) reverses the readings. My board (A7N8X deluxe ver. 2.0) show them correctly. Can't seem to get hers to read right. I see there is a new 1006 bios out however so I'll try that on hers to see if it sorts out. If the temps you have are correct, I would find that very strange with air cooling but hey, weirder things have happened! (grin)

James :)

Yes I am air cooling. I am even useing a cheap Coolermaster CP5-6J31C.

I don't know what the problem would be with getting temps like that. Granted they are not ice cold temp's but i would say they are pretty decent. Also I doubt that the reading is incorrect becasue when I had the ver 1 the heatsink was scorching hot (59c), now with the ver 2 the heatsink is warm, at most (35c).

Yes I agree that i have bad circulation at 43C mobo temp but it isent THAT high in my opinion. The main reason that i can think of for good mobo temp is to assist the heatsink at cooling the CPU. But when the CPU is running in the 30's i see no dire need to improve the temp, although I will anyways.

Anyways i jsut thought it was a weird occurance that this was going on inside my case and wondered if you guys ever had it happen to you.

Yes i am takeing the readings off Probe. I never heard that about Probe before but I'll look out for that. Thanks for the heads up.

The bios is 1005 so its pretty current and its the most recent version of Probe that i found on the asus site. The bios temps are also consistant with Probe.

I'm just gonna chalk it up to really bad case circulation. I'm sure when I bust out my dremal and start popping blowholes I'll see the case temp's get lower then the CPU.

My a7n8x reported bad temps in the bios (asus probe was actualy more believable temps). Pretty much I decided I wouldn't trust any temps that board was reporting.

I'm pretty sure case temps cannot be higher than cpu temps when using air cooling. It's impossible. The processor creates heat so it will always be warmer than the surrounding temps. When the case temps go up, so will the cpu temps.

Im positive cpu temps cant be below case temps. It is impossible unless there is some rule in physics that humans have not yet discovered. Air cooling works because the heat is dissapated to the cooler "case air" there is no way the heatsink is cooling down the case

actually, it is quite possible if say, the case temp sensor was in a passivly cooled nb with a high fsb, or sitting right next to the agp slot with a 5800ultra, many mobo makers have admitted to putting the sensor in less than ideal places

but no, the cpu will never be cooler than the air blowing on it, just maby cooler than the air where the case sensor is

Back