• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to go past the 12.5x limit on 1700+ ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadrak

Hello all,

I'm running a 1700+ @ 1960Mhz on an old MSI K7T Turbo 2 mobo. I reached the limit of my two Samsung PC133 512Mo memory chips which is 157Mhz.

So my limit today is 157 x 12.5 as the multiplier won't go any higher. I just cannot find back a method to unlock higher multipliers in the thousands of posts down there :(

Can someone advise me about that ? Just to be more precise, my 1700+ is a KIUHB with L1 pins already "assembled".

Thanks for your help :)

You either have the lower or upper set of multipliers I'm afraid. 95-12.5x or 13-23x) The L3 bridges control the hardwired multis, and most motherboards only read/output 4 of the 5 bits that adjust the multipliers. I would advise not blowing open the 5th L3 bridge for the higher set as better performance is obtained with a higher FSB as opposed to the multiplier. I'd also recommend getting some decent RAM as it is definitely limiting your overclock. But then your motherboard's the next limit and I don't think it will go higher than the RAM.

You could always use the wire trick in your socket so that it will give the same effect as blowing the 5th L3 bridge.
I'm gonna get a pic posted of the pins you gotta short in a socket. You can use a really thin wire to connect the two pin holes, but if you do this, make sure that when you insert the CPU into the socket that it sits completely flat or you'll have bad contact with ur cooler, which might cause overheating.
I used this method today to get my lower multi range back and it worked flawlessly

*EDIT:* Click here for the pic on what pin holes to short
PS. should work now

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. The link for the pic did not work but I know how to find the wire trick back on the Net. The only thing is that each time I see it it is not clearly mentionned what is the purpose of the trick. Most of the time I understant (maybe wrong) that it is to get lower clock multipliers whereas I want to get those past the 12.5 :rolleyes:

And it is the same for the 5th L3 bridge trick, I really have problems understanding its purpose. If anyone has a link to some article descibing clearly (understandable by a 3 yo child :D) these processes it would be welcome.

Check my link, and scroll down, you'll see what you have to do. Its possible both do a wire trick to get lower or a higher range. Just scroll down for the high range setting

Back