• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

damn i got a bad barton :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emericana

well lemme first say that i wont be able to respond to any replies for 2 days cause im goin away but i just wanna share some info on the 2500+ i just got...

i was EXTREMELY excited when i got it because of the stepping
AQXEA 0228 "Y" TPBW as ppl say the "B" is supposed to mean great wafer quality and the Y is supposed to mean its great as well... well lemme be the first to say thats bs

the thing wont do 2200mhz w/ 1.8v

it takes 1.8v to do 2150

cooling is slk800 w/ 50CFM and AS3

purchased as a retail cpu from newegg for $90 as a "upgrade" for my 1700 that would do 2400mhz in the winter and usually i ran at like 2320 (bc of hot temps in the summer)... oh well :(

mine is quite similar...needs around 1.75v to get to 3200...shame really I was kind of hoping atleast getting there whilst keeping voltage to at most 1.7...guess it just wasnt to be

do you still have your old 1700?

From what I have seen the 2500+ Bartons are no where near as good overclockers...so why did you buy it in the first place - what was wrong with your 1700+ afterall?

mine does 2.3 at default on my a7n8x =d thats pretty good.. and yea they got dud ones when you oc you take that change ;d and you guys lucked out

My 2500+ doesn't run Prime95 for even an hour without freezing at default speeds and voltages. It will run at 2.2GHZ the same way at default voltage, but no matter how many volts I feed it, it won't run stable no matter what, even if I underclock it. So I am stuck with my 1900+ palomino for now until I get my 1700+.

That is just plain weird, guys. Whenever I get sick of my Tornado's noise, I put the system at default voltage (which the NF7-S undervolts to 1.6V) and run the CPU at 220 x 10 (3200+ CPU speed). This is on AQXEA 0323 MPMW. How can the newer week 27 AQXEA be an inferior performer?

Does the whole theory of "TPBW" where "B" means great wafer quality still apply to Bartons or may be not?

stepping doesnt ensure clockability - you can refer to other users with the same stepping as a guideline as what to expect...but your chip is going to either a) not really do much b) perform about average c) surpass expectations.

just luck of the draw :santa2:

I got a stinker too, from ExcaliberPC :(

Takes 1.95 Volts to do 2350 MHz stable, verified by Prime95 testing :cry:

Will not do 2400 stable even with 2.0 Volts and I'm not about to push it higher.

ninthebin said:
2500s are good overclockers...just not the ones me and emericana bought :santa2:

my barton takes 1.85v to get to 2.2ghz... only a 370mhz overclock and it's already maxed out... my 1800+ was running 600mhz over default speed at 1.8V...

we don't know enough about barton steppings to figure out which ones are good...

barton's don't overclock well at all... atleast on air...

I don't know why you get such a bad overclock, my horrible AQUCA does 167x13.5=2254.5 at 2.000v on air, temp is 56C. My AQXEA and AQXDA run at 140x16=2240 in SMP at 1.800V, with my smp rig there is a cooling problem so I am not overclocking it further.

I've never heard anything about this "B" "Y" before.. Can you clarify what that means and if one is better than the other?

(According to my OC, I have a good one! :) )

Last edited:
Back