• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new to overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnfs

Registered
ok very new to overclocking want to safely overclock my amd 1800 xp athalon set now at 1533 w 266fsb ram is ddr2700 pc 333 video is only pny gforce fx 128 8x agp will i gain much asus mb a7v8x-x. power supply is starlogic 115/230v 8.5/5.5a 60/50hz pine56x cdrom western digital wd600 60g hard drive windows xp home current cpu temp 41c/105f mobo temp 33c/91f 5 80mm case fans ps has its own 2 not sure of stepping but it is xp thb amd stock cpu fan tag on package says 19-103-353 {171176} no network card network thru router on board lan proccesser id 00000681 03 83 fbff 17 inch moniter 6ch onboard sound I also have a thermalake valcano 10 on hand

Last edited:
could u tell us the stepping on your cpu or if its a t-bred or a pali just up the fbs abit in the bios and run prime 95 to see if its stable or not :)

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!! :)

Erm punctuation?

Welcome to the forums, the Asus A7V8X is a good motherboard for the type of chipset - KT400. It will do 200MHz RAM frequency which is what your RAM should get up to, and will do 166MHz FSB. The PCI bus isn't locked so you should not push the FSB past 180MHz unless you like hard drive corruption. Run WCPUID and tell us the stepping or alternatively take the heatsink off and post the numbers on the CPU itself.

For more precise answers please post the following specs:
Power Supply make/brand and wattage rating
Chip stepping code
any other peripherals like CDROMs, HDs, Network Cards
What operating system you are using
What heatsink / fan you are using and how may case fans you have. If possible post temperatures - MBM5 Hardware Monitor

Back