• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

o/c fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maiof

hey all.... i remember a while back someone saying something about the sensor fans..... that if you switch a wire or two around, you can make the fan go ALOT faster........ anyone remember what wires go where??

thanks,

hmm... i see a grey red and black wire..... i know that the red and black are voltage and the grey is sensor... what two wires?

oh.. and how fast does this kill my fan??

thanks

Last edited:
If your fan has a tempuratre sensor you chop it off and connect those 2 wires. If it doesn't and it has a litlle potentiometer you just turn it up all the way, if it has neither of those than it runs full speed all the time.

Doing this doesn't kill your fan, overvolting probably would and it would make your fans go alot faster.

This can be done but I forget exactly how, I think, but I'm not sure, that you connect the +5v (red) from the molex to the + end of hte fan and the -12v (black and next to the yellow). Or somthing like that, I don't really remember.

EDIT: now that I think about that that is probably wrong, but it involes connecting somthing to the wrong ground if Im not mistaken. maybe it was 12+ to the 5v ground.

connecting posotive to +12v and negative to the -12v on your mobo connector would yeild 24v fans, i wouldnt expect them to make it through the night. but similarly, you could use the -5 or -3.3 rail for 15 or 17 volts, most high quality fans could probably withstand 15v and maby even 17v, its all up to you, there is an article in overclockers home page with a full breakdown of the atx connector for doing this

i'm sorry.... huh ???? " -5 or -3.3 rail for 15 or 17 "
what wire to what wire?? i got black, red, and grey...

sorry... i'm voltage iliterate
thanks......

maiof said:
i'm sorry.... huh ???? " -5 or -3.3 rail for 15 or 17 "
what wire to what wire?? i got black, red, and grey...

sorry... i'm voltage iliterate
thanks......

Well if you don't understand how it would work I would read up a little before trying to figure it out.

sooooo... will it be safe though for my puter if i connect the +5 and the +12 together and leave the "common" (black) alone??

+5 and +12 TOGETHER to red on fan
and leave black alone
that's safe?

+5 and +12 TOGETHER to red on fan
and leave black alone
that's safe?
That will kill your power supply in seconds or minutes, literally. There are other ways to boost fan power, but unless you know what you are doing I would NOT recommend it. Besides putting your fan in danger, upping the voltage to 17V could kill your power supply if you're not careful (most only allow 0.3A or less on the -5V line and 0.8A or less on the -12V line). Get a friend with knowledge of electronics to help you. There's no simple, safe way to boost power to a fan.

maiof said:
hey all.... i remember a while back someone saying something about the sensor fans..... that if you switch a wire or two around, you can make the fan go ALOT faster........ anyone remember what wires go where??

thanks,

Depends on the fan.

If you want to underclock a fan you can connect the black (0v) wire of the fan to a red wire from the PSU (which is 5v). The resulting Potential difference is thus 7v, so a slower fan.

The way you might be thinking is: Some fans have thermal circuitry built-in. Bypassing it makes the fan go faster as there is usually always some throttle on the voltage to the fan because of how thermistors work.

First thought is the stock P4 HSF. You can bypass the thermistor in it to give it it's maximum voltage.

At all times there must be a device between the red and black wires coming from the PSU or no device at all. Connecting them directly together is never advised.

You can overclock the fan by giving it more than 12v, but few PSU's give a good enough P.D. bigger than 12v at a current load suitable for a fan.

Back