• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It won't even boot!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UjinR

Registered
Hi there!
Well here it is:
I'm overclocking my 1700+ DUT3c on an 8RDA3+ and so far
I'm at 190 * 11.5 @ 1.825V (Stable).
I've tried up to 210 fsb with a low multiplier(7 or something)
and it's stable,
but at 210 my pc won't even boot with any multiplier higher than 9.5
even at 1.9V!It doesn't even boot at 200 with that multiplier!
The temp is ok(max 48C after hours of prime).
I have a kingston Valueram DDR3200.
Why does this happen, is it normal?

Welcome to the Forum!

Since you demonstrated the ability of the cpu AND the system northbridge to function at 210 fsb with a low multiplier and also demonstrated that the cpu is capable of a stable 2.185 GHz, the problem may be elsewhere in your system.

I am wondering if your power supply is able to supply enough stable power to both the overclocked cpu and the overclocked northbridge. What can you tell us about your power supply? Also, how many drives do you have and what additional cards are in use?

You might try the high fsb overclock again with a minimum of components to see if the power supply is limiting you. (One hard drive, one stick of ram, one optical drive, graphics card).

Thanks!
I have an Enermax @350W.
In the system there are 2 cd-roms ,2 hard disks a radeon 9000 (not pro) and 4 fans.

Your Enermax may not be strong enough for that system when reaching for both high fsb and high core clock, so try my suggestion of a minimum configuration. There may also be a limit due to the fact that there is only the basic ATX power connection on your Epox motherboard. Most new overclocking boards seem to use some supplemental power (either the ATX12V aka P4 connector or a motherboard port for a hard drive type connector) to drive all the extra hardware on the motherboard.

I have no way of finding out if the power is sufficient, but the board has an ATX12V which I have connected.

Make sure you have your cpu-ram timing set to "by SPD". This will force your memory to run at its rated DDR400 speed regardless of the front side bus speed you are using.

Did you try running the system with fewer parts? By doing this you will be testing the power supply. If the system works at the higher speed with some devices disconnected (disconnect both data and power lines), then the power supply is the weak link. Note that a hard drive consumes about 25W and an optical drive requires about 20W.

I've tried it with only Vga card ,1 Hard Disk,1 dimm.
The same thing happened!
To be more specific it does boot at 210*10 but with fail-sade defaults...

Running with fail safe settings is not a bad place to start. The tight timings and enhanced performance options that work at stock speeds often have to be relaxed when overclocking. Begining from the fail-safe settings, start tweaking some of the options if you like.

It appears that the only 'options' on your board which might have caused problems would be under Advanced Chipset Features: CPU Interface, Memory Timings and the two Spread Spectrum Settings. With your overclock, I would suggest leaving these at the fail-safe settings.

I haven't changed any of this exept of the memory timings which I have relaxed...
They were 2-2-2-5 and I have them @ 2-3-3-6.

I've bought an active cooler for NB (Iceberg) and raised VDD from
1.6V to 1.8V but still nothing.
I'm stuck here,HELP!!!

Back