• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!! Sevier coolling Issues!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

E_tron

HELP!! major cooling Issues!!!

Ok I just bought parts for a new AMD Athlon XP system:

Parts from Googlegear.com
AMD Athlon XP Barton 2500+ (1.83ghz /w 512 L2 cashe) Retail (w/ stock fan)
Gigabyte Socket A Motherboard GA-7VT600(-L) Retail
two Vantec Stelth Fans 80mm Retail
LiteON 48x24x48x CD-RW & 16x DVD-ROM COMBO Drive Retail
Sony floppy Drive OEM
Kingston 512MB PC2700 Non-ECC Retail
U.S. Robotics 3094 56m internal modem OEM
Seagate Barracuda 80GB 7200rpm /w 2mb buffer ata100 OEM
Parts from newegg.com
Saphire ATI Radion 9500(reg edition) 128MB OEM
Case from local vender
Antec SLK2600AMD Super Mini Tower Case /w Antec 300w power supply retail

The machine is running VERY VERY Hot. Almost as soon as i turn it on(case side on or off) the CPU core is already at 60*c and in full load it jumps to 70-74*c in a heart beat. First i tried removing the fan to make sure i didnt leave a protective sticker on the heatsink(like as if it didnt already melt), but it was ok. I removed the sticky whatever that was already on the heatsink and replaced it with some compound. I tried a little at first (didn't help much(2*c)).
I called my friend in. He has a TbreadC AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (2.08ghz /w 256 L2 cashe) and it seems to do quite well with just a stock heat sink(40*c is the max i've seen yet) on an ASUS board. We tried his heat sink on my barton, but the same results. I was still able to fry an egg on it.

Mabey the barton runs substantually hoter than any CPU out there, but im very upset about this. Does anybody have any idea as to what is going on?

Get an sk-7 and smartfan for that CPU. Also get better airflow. Since you have 2 case fans. Put 1 infront as intake and 1 in back as exaust. You should get more fans though.

How hot is the house temperature? It does make a big difference if your temperature is high in the house. I had an AMD 1800+ that would get to 60 with the stock fan at idle when the temps in the house were at 30 or higher. AMD does not make very good heatsinks even when I put a better fan on it, it only went down like 2 degrees. Like Constantinos said I would buy a better HSF.

The house temp is around 75*f and i already have the max amount of case fans inside of the machine(without making a major mod). could you recommend a heat sink? i'm not entirely sure what sk-7 is(i'm not all that up on heat sink abbreviations)

here is the site for the SLK 900U your mobo has not been tested so i don't know if you want to get the 900.
here is the site for the sk7

oh yea the sk7 is just the name... not an abbr.

Back