• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning dust off of a HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fuzzbeaner

Hey, I have this microfinned cooler, which is now healthily covered in dust all over. How do I get it off? I can't get a paper towel or anything in there. Does compressed air work on microfins?

Thanks,

-Jeff

Compressed air will work fine as long as the dust has not been contaminated with anything oily or damp which would make it sticky (Also, a heavy smoker in the area would cause some difficulty in cleaning with air as well.)

You could try the dishwasher with a non-caustic detergent if it doesn't want to come off. The base will probably require re-finishing after that as washing it isn't going to do it much good.

Canned air should be enough, but if not, you could use a tooth brush on it gently, and it should get out the stuborn dust. most of my light computer dusting i do with a soft 3 inch paint brush anyways. canned air gets expensive.

For a really funky Heatsink, I always use a pipecleaner with some rubbing alcohol to clean the fins of any greasy residue that may accumulate. The pipecleaners are pretty thin, and squash down to fit almost any opening...
I always remove the HSF for cleaning, but you could leave in on the CPU so long as you are careful...beware of the metal core of the pipecleaners, and be careful...Works fine for me...:D >

I just did the pipe cleaner method. I don't recommend it. I got rid of the dust, but on close inspection I slightly warped some of my fins :-/.

Might be time for a new HSF

Thanks,

-Jeff

No clue - for now I'm not OCing so I can stick with my Copper based Dynatron - 5 bucks shipped newegg refurb ;)

I just found a 60-80 Mm Fan converter and bought an ultra quiet panoflow, so for now I'm about volume, not necesarily temps.

-Jeff

Back