• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Guess this HSF combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fuzzywuzzy

Registered
Have you any idea what HSF combo this is?

Can you name everything (any electronic, no need to name the can of compressed air, or the rubbing alcohol :) ) in the picture?

This was a side project I just completed to quiet down my monstrous PC case....

Sorry guys, can't display the image here, you'll have to click to see it here: http://xxx.50megs.com/hsf.html

Last edited:
Don't forget to guess the CPU :) (Note that this doesn't mean you guessed right, or guess wrong what you've said so far :) )

wannaoc said:
Looks like a SK-7 with some stock intel fan on it and a TMD fan on an intel HS?

From the looks I would say it is an SLK-700, because the SLK-700 Ships with a TMD fan and that is the fan besides the intel one in the pic. Otherwise, I would say it is an Sk6. It is definitely a thermalright, you can tell by how the fins are connected across the top.

EDIT- based on the angle of the sides and shape of the base (full plate, not free flow) I am almost certain it is an Sk6.

No guesses as to what kind of CPU it's mounted on? :)

I'll let this charade run on for about another 12 hrs, then I'll let everyone know :) I just thought it was interesting the way I mated the things togeter 'n such.

I can't stand it anymore, I have to tell :)

You guys are good with your heatsinks eh! :D

In the background is a stock Intel Celeron heatsink, mated to a 74mm TMD fan.

In the foreground, and my new HSF, is the stock Intel Celeron fan, mated to an SK-6+. Good job guys :)

The CPU is actually a S370 1.4Ghz Celeron, mated to a Slot1 -> S370 adapter ('Slotket'). Purring like a kitten in my Asus P2B mobo (one user on these forums complained that I'm running crusty hardware. So what?! It works :))

I'll tell ya, that TMD fan was driving me nuts. It's over-the-top-loud. Plus, the Canadian Distributor of ThermalRight stuff didn't have the 74mm fan hood, so I had to ghetto-hack it and hold the fan onto the SK-6+ using some wire/twine.

I'm too lazy to re-apply AS3 as I was thinking of swapping back to OEM HSF, so I devised a way to hook the OEM fan to the SK-6+. Wire works great :)

WHY would I even bother with such a combo? I'm running a Slot1 board with a slotket, so the HSF is pointed perpendicular to the mobo, and too tall a HSF will block up RAM slots. TMD was the way to go.... or OEM.

This new-world/old skool combo works great, and looks cool too :cool:

AND..... For anyone with an SK-6+ or wanting to add a very affordable HSF, check this out.... Get an SK-6+ and throw on an 80mm fan! (SK-6+ was made primarily for 60mm fans (i.e. Delta), with an upgrade bracket for 74mm TMD fan hoot. That's it.)

I found these pics off this article: 'How to Build a Quiet PC - Overclockers.com Article'

HeatsinkFanBrackets3.jpg

"I like this heatsink because it is very cheap and incredibly effective with some simple modifications. With the mod I will describe, the SK-6+ will perform identically to the more expensive SK-7 when using the same fan. "

Last edited:
Back