• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo decision week

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chaos

This is what I am looking for:
Not much of an overclocker;but would like to have the ability to do so--maybe a Raid array somewhere down the road--stability--
don't need the 'latest and greatest'(usually build a new pc every 6 months or so)built in features(usb 2.0, firewire, etc.)
I've narrowed my choices down to these:

Chaintech Zenith 9EJS1($131)--REALLY like this board and it has great reviews-not the newest chipsets though(the green pci slots will look nice in my UV windowed case)

Gigabyte GA-SINXP1394($138)--Has nice features also, newer chipset, good reviews also, has SATA too(+) and dual DDR

Will be putting 512mb Kingmaxpc3200(not the tiny bga) in it--may put a total of a GB if I can afford it..

Any thoughts??Suggestions?? I don't like going with the "standard mobo'--no more than $140.00

Will be purchasing this coming week so much input is needed!!!!

Last edited:
C'mon guys--a little help here please!!!!!!

Can get the Gigabyte board for $103.00 at Mwave.com
Chaintech boards for $124.00 at Googlegear.com

1Gb of memory will be going into whatever board I choose-heard there were some memory issues with the Gigabyte; but would like to run in dual-channel if its that much of a performance boost..

HELP

Last edited:
Well the 845PE chipset is very user freindly and overclockes like a MOFU, but if the SIS655 chipset has B0 stepping which it should have if your buying new will be way faster. Plus you can run your memory in Dual Channel mode if you have two sticks. The Gigabyte board is a higher peformance board but will be more finicky with memory. Just dont use memory that has really agressive memory timings and you'll love that board. It looks cool as well with the blue board and colored ram slots.
103.00 is a damn good deal.

Glad someone wrote back-I was leaning toward the GA-SINXP1394 anyway since it is newer and has a few more options
I hope my Kingmax 512mb pc3200 gets along with my Black Diamond 512mb pc3200. Both are cas 2.5; Hope the dual shannel works alright with them!! Gonna have to change me UV theme now LOL!!!

I had to break in the components before it really got stable. For the first week and a half, it would not boot consistently, however I had brand new memory and a brand new CPU as well.
You will most likely want to manually set the timings to 2.5,8,3,3 at least to start. If you can eventually get more aggressive, more power to you. I cannot get lower than 2.5,7,3,3 stable, but I have an A0 chip. The board has an AGP/PCI lock, which can be found if you hit ctrl+F1 while in bios. That opens up all the advanced features.

Back